WxPython 4.0.1 configuration failed

QWERTY_Code

Hello! I am trying to install wxpython as a window management system for my projects instead of pygame, but I am having some problems. I started out using pip to install, but that didn’t work. Then I downloaded the package with pip to a tmp folder to install manuly. Still no seccess. Then I tried to download the phenyx project from github.com, but I couldn’t unpack it because the release is a .git file and unfortinely it downloaded it as a .zip. Of the two methods I tried, I got the same error in both, So it is eather a dependincey issue, or a problem with wxPython it self. In conclusion, I would like some guideness on downloading .git files from github, and some help debuging the installation process.

p.s. I would like to install wxPython on both python 2.7 and 3.6.

The information on my environment is included below:

OS is KDE Neon 5.11.5 running on Linux kernel 4.13.0-32-generic

python 2.7.14 installed at /usr/local

python 3.6.4 installed at /usr/local

(I had accidentally changed the permission structure of /usr while trying to get 2.7.14 installed, sooo that might have messed something up. I did ‘chown -R root:root /usr’, seems fine now.)

I have these Prerequisites installed:

dpkg-dev

build-essential

libjpeg-dev

libtiff-dev

libsdl1.2-dev

libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev

libnotify-dev

freeglut3

freeglut3-dev

libsm-dev

libgtk-3-dev

libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev

libgtk2.0-dev

libwebkitgtk-dev

libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev

And these pip2 and pip3 packages:

alabaster (0.7.10)

apipkg (1.4) --2.7 only

appdirs (1.4.3)
attrs (17.4.0)
Automat (0.6.0)
Babel (2.5.3)
blessings (1.6.1)
bpython (0.17)
buildtools (1.0.6)
certifi (2018.1.18)

chardet (3.0.4)

configparser (3.5.0) --3.6 only

constantly (15.1.0)
curtsies (0.2.11)
docopt (0.6.2)
docutils (0.14)
execnet (1.5.0)

funcsigs (1.0.2) --2.7 only

furl (1.0.1)

future (0.16.0) --3.6 only

greenlet (0.4.13)
hyperlink (17.3.1)
idna (2.6)
imagesize (0.7.1)
incremental (17.5.0)

jedi (0.11.1) --3.6 only

Jinja2 (2.10)

json-rpc (1.10.8) --3.6 only

MarkupSafe (1.0)

mccabe (0.6.1) --3.6 only

numpy (1.14.0)
orderedmultidict (0.7.11)

parso (0.1.1) --3.6 only

pip (9.0.1)
pkginfo (1.4.1)
pluggy (0.6.0)
py (1.5.2)

pycodestyle (2.3.1) --3.6 only

pydocstyle (2.1.1) --3.6 only
pyflakes (1.6.0) --3.6 only
pygame (1.9.3) --3.6 only

Pygments (2.2.0)

pyserial (3.4)
pytest (3.4.0)
pytest-forked (0.2)
pytest-timeout (1.2.1)
pytest-xdist (1.22.0)
python-dateutil (2.6.1)

python-language-server (0.13.0) --3.6 only

pytz (2017.3)
pyusb (1.0.2)
redo (1.6)
requests (2.18.4)
requests-toolbelt (0.8.0)

rope (0.10.7) --3.6 only

scipy (1.0.0)
setuptools (38.4.0)
SimpleCV (1.3)
simplejson (3.13.2)
six (1.11.0)
snowballstemmer (1.2.1)
Sphinx (1.6.7)
sphinxcontrib-websupport (1.0.1)
SQLAlchemy (1.2.2)
tqdm (4.19.5)
twine (1.9.1)
Twisted (17.9.0)

typing (3.6.4) --2.7 only

urllib3 (1.22)
wcwidth (0.1.7)
wheel (0.30.0)
zope.interface (4.4.3)

I have also included the config.logs for when i did it manually.

config(2.7).log (24K) Download Attachment
config(3.6).log (29K) Download Attachment

Re: WxPython 4.0.1 configuration failed

QWERTY_Code
Sorry about the formating.

Re: WxPython 4.0.1 configuration failed

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 11:41:50 AM UTC-8, QWERTY_Code wrote:

Hello! I am trying to install wxpython as a window management system for my projects instead of pygame, but I am having some problems. I started out using pip to install, but that didn’t work. Then I downloaded the package with pip to a tmp folder to install manuly. Still no seccess. Then I tried to download the phenyx project from <a href="http://github.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFCNLSjW9vNIlZmNtEh3Pi8fjEOSw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFCNLSjW9vNIlZmNtEh3Pi8fjEOSw&#39;;return true;">github.com, but I couldn’t unpack it because the release is a .git file and unfortinely it downloaded it as a .zip. Of the two methods I tried, I got the same error in both, So it is eather a dependincey issue, or a problem with wxPython it self. In conclusion, I would like some guideness on downloading .git files from github, and some help debuging the installation process.

You need to use git to fetch from URLs like https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix.git, and what it gives you is not just an archive full of files, but the whole source version control repository. If you don't know what that is or how to use it then you don't want to use that URL.  An easier option would be to just download the source archive from the PyPI page, https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wxPython. Even easier would be to let pip do it all for you, such as what is documented here: https://wxpython.org/blog/2017-08-17-builds-for-linux-with-pip/index.html

p.s. I would like to install wxPython on both python 2.7 and 3.6.

The information on my environment is included below:

OS is KDE Neon 5.11.5 running on Linux kernel 4.13.0-32-generic

python 2.7.14 installed at /usr/local

python 3.6.4 installed at /usr/local

(I had accidentally changed the permission structure of /usr while trying to get 2.7.14 installed, sooo that might have messed something up. I did ‘chown -R root:root /usr’, seems fine now.)

From the logs it looks like something is wrong with your pythons. If you built them yourself did you use the --enable-shared option when running Python's configure?

http://wxPython.org

Re: WxPython 4.0.1 configuration failed

QWERTY_Code
No I didn't. I ran this command:

./configure --with-zlib=yes --prefix=/usr/local --enable-optimizations

From the logs it looks like something is wrong with your pythons. If you built them yourself did you use the --enable-shared option when running Python's configure?

Re: WxPython 4.0.1 configuration failed

Robin Dunn
On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 6:57:29 PM UTC-8, QWERTY_Code wrote:
No I didn't. I ran this command:

./configure --with-zlib=yes --prefix=/usr/local --enable-optimizations

Try again with adding --enable-shared, rebuild and reinstall. That option is typically used for the Pythons available from linux system repositories, and many (perhaps all) binary extension modules for linux are built in a way that assumes Python was built with the shared library option. The errors in the config log are due to waf testing the Python installation by trying to build a program that embeds Python which expects to see the Python APIs available due to the shared library having been loaded.

http://wxPython.org

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 9:29:17 PM UTC-6, Robin Dunn wrote:
Try again with adding --enable-shared, rebuild and reinstall. That option is typically used for the Pythons available from linux system repositories, and many (perhaps all) binary extension modules for linux are built in a way that assumes Python was built with the shared library option. The errors in the config log are due to waf testing the Python installation by trying to build a program that embeds Python which expects to see the Python APIs available due to the shared library having been loaded.

I reinstalled python with that option, and python 3 works fine. But when ever I try to import something in python 2 I get this error:

>>> import setuptools
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/setuptools/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/setuptools/extern/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 77, in <module>

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources/extern/__init__.py", line 61, in load_module
ImportError: The 'packaging.requirements' package is required; normally this is bundled with this package so if you get this warning, consult the packager of your distribution.

It is installed by looks of it but something is missing because if I import a module that was not previously installed:

>>> import pygame
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named pygame

this what happens when I run pip:

user@user-computer:~$ pip
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/bin/pip", line 6, in <module>

from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 77, in <module>

File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/pkg_resources/extern/__init__.py", line 61, in load_module
ImportError: The 'packaging.requirements' package is required; normally this is bundled with this package so if you get this warning, consult the packager of your distribution.

I have not tried installing wxpython on python3 yet so your suggestion it might have fixed it.

-Thanks for your time!

Re: WxPython 4.0.1 configuration failed

QWERTY_Code
I should also add it installed 2.7.12 instead of 2.7.14, and I would like the latter used by default. I did use the 2.7.14 source code, So I am not sure what happened 2.7.12 is the OS' pre-installed python. Did the --enable-shared play a part in this?

And do you know of a way to safely remove or upgrade the pre-installed python2 (2.7.12 -> 2.7.14)? if you do 'apt-get remove python' it also removes EVERYTHING THAT USES IT.

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 6:56:17 PM UTC-8, QWERTY_Code wrote:
I should also add it installed 2.7.12 instead of 2.7.14, and I would like the latter used by default. I did use the 2.7.14 source code, So I am not sure what happened 2.7.12 is the OS' pre-installed python. Did the --enable-shared play a part in this?

Perhaps. The Python build should have set things up so the Python executable is able to find the correct version of the shared library, but if not you may need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to help it out.

http://wxPython.org