Why isn't wxpython (wxwidgets) as popular as pyqt (qt)?

Why isn't wxpython (wxwidgets) as popular as pyqt (qt)?

steve
Hi,

What are the advantages of pyqt over wxpython? What can't wxpython do that pyqt can?

Best Regards

Re: Why isn't wxpython (wxwidgets) as popular as pyqt (qt)?

GadgetSteve

On 07/01/2017 16:59, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the advantages of pyqt over wxpython? What can't wxpython do
> that pyqt can?
>
> Best Regards
>
> --

wxPython can't force you to abide by the Nokia QT licensing conditions -
i.e. if you develop a _commercial_ product using QT then you have to pay
for licences while with wxPython you don't have to pay anybody
regardless of your usage.
QT is currently better if you are targeting mobile devices.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

On Jan 7, 2017, at 8:59 AM, steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are the advantages of pyqt over wxpython? What can't wxpython do that pyqt can?

If you have done any Windows API programming before, using something like MFC or WTL, wxPython will feel familiar.  Qt, on the other hand, is a lifestyle.  It does things rather differently.  Once you go down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Re: Why isn't wxpython (wxwidgets) as popular as pyqt (qt)?

john fabiani`
PyQT can use Python 3.x.  In general PyQT is maintaining parody with the latest versions of QT.  In general PyQT is doing a better job of keeping up with today's tech.

BTW have you looked a Kivy or some of the other GUI tech?
Joihnf

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Tim Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 7, 2017, at 8:59 AM, steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are the advantages of pyqt over wxpython? What can't wxpython do that pyqt can?

If you have done any Windows API programming before, using something like MFC or WTL, wxPython will feel familiar.  Qt, on the other hand, is a lifestyle.  It does things rather differently.  Once you go down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Re: Why isn't wxpython (wxwidgets) as popular as pyqt (qt)?

Mario Lacunza-2
but Pyqt is GPL so you cant close you app....

kivy is ok for moible devices, but for desktops ... I dont like it, for example kivy dont have a simple grid control (you need to create it using textbox controls array) and if Im not wrong they have an issue with the mac packages.

The other tool: https://wiki.qt.io/PySide si developed very slowly, his last version only have support for QT4.x, the new version PySide 2 is still under development with support for QT5... its LGPL..

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: [hidden email]
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Skype: mlacunzav

Lima - Peru

PyQT can use Python 3.x.  In general PyQT is maintaining parody with the latest versions of QT.  In general PyQT is doing a better job of keeping up with today's tech.

BTW have you looked a Kivy or some of the other GUI tech?
Joihnf

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Tim Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 7, 2017, at 8:59 AM, steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are the advantages of pyqt over wxpython? What can't wxpython do that pyqt can?

If you have done any Windows API programming before, using something like MFC or WTL, wxPython will feel familiar.  Qt, on the other hand, is a lifestyle.  It does things rather differently.  Once you go down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Re: Why isn't wxpython (wxwidgets) as popular as pyqt (qt)?

Mike Driscoll

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 8:50:05 AM UTC-6, johnf wrote:
PyQT can use Python 3.x.  In general PyQT is maintaining parody with the latest versions of QT.  In general PyQT is doing a better job of keeping up with today's tech.

BTW have you looked a Kivy or some of the other GUI tech?
Joihnf

Just to be clear, wxPython supports Python 3 as well in Phoenix. M

My place of work use Qt (the C++ original) for most of our user interface work. While it has some additional widgets that wxPython does not have, I don't really see it as being all that different. We run into Qt bugs that can be pretty obnoxious to work around as well. I'm sure there's some of that in wxPython too, but I've never had to deal with anything major.

Mike

Re: Why isn't wxpython (wxwidgets) as popular as pyqt (qt)?

john fabiani`
>Just to be clear, wxPython supports Python 3 as well in Phoenix.
If Phoenix is stable enough for production why doesn't it get released?

Johnf

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Mike Driscoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 8:50:05 AM UTC-6, johnf wrote:
PyQT can use Python 3.x.  In general PyQT is maintaining parody with the latest versions of QT.  In general PyQT is doing a better job of keeping up with today's tech.

BTW have you looked a Kivy or some of the other GUI tech?
Joihnf

Just to be clear, wxPython supports Python 3 as well in Phoenix. M

My place of work use Qt (the C++ original) for most of our user interface work. While it has some additional widgets that wxPython does not have, I don't really see it as being all that different. We run into Qt bugs that can be pretty obnoxious to work around as well. I'm sure there's some of that in wxPython too, but I've never had to deal with anything major.

Mike

Re: Why isn't wxpython (wxwidgets) as popular as pyqt (qt)?

Scott Talbert
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017, John Fabiani wrote:

> >Just to be clear, wxPython supports Python 3 as well in Phoenix.If Phoenix
> is stable enough for production why doesn't it get released?

As I see it, the remaining work is mostly making sure all of the more
obscure pieces of the wxWidgets API is wrapped, rather than achieving
stability.

Scott