What has happened to the wxPython 3x documentation??

What has happened to the wxPython 3x documentation??

Bob Klahn
I have a complex application that uses Python 2x and wxPython 3x. My
Googling for some wxPython 3x help this evening has brought back nothing
but "The requested URL /docs/api/wx.Notebook-class.html was not found on
this server." not-found pages.  What's happened to the wxPython 3x
documentation??  I really need it!  I thought it might be at
SourceForge, but I haven't found it there either.  E.g., I see
"Unfortunately, this project hasn't indicated the best way to get help."
at https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpython/support.

HELP!  Upgrading to Python 3x and wxPython 4x does not begin to be an
option for me.

Bob

Re: What has happened to the wxPython 3x documentation??

GadgetSteve

On 26/07/2017 04:19, Bob Klahn wrote:

> I have a complex application that uses Python 2x and wxPython 3x. My
> Googling for some wxPython 3x help this evening has brought back nothing
> but "The requested URL /docs/api/wx.Notebook-class.html was not found on
> this server." not-found pages.  What's happened to the wxPython 3x
> documentation??  I really need it!  I thought it might be at
> SourceForge, but I haven't found it there either.  E.g., I see
> "Unfortunately, this project hasn't indicated the best way to get help."
> at https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpython/support.
>
> HELP!  Upgrading to Python 3x and wxPython 4x does not begin to be an
> option for me.
>
> Bob

Bob,

If you go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpython/files/wxPython/
you should see a list of the old releases of wxPython from 2.4.2.4
through 3.0.2.0 under each of those you should find a
wxPython-docs-n.n.n.n.tar.bz2 (or .gz) file which is a compressed
archive of the documentation, (on windows you can extract with 7-zip
other platforms with tar or the file manager).

This will contain the official documentation as at that release, it is
also worth downloading the demo suite as it always provides useful examples.

I would encourage you to also take a look at the wxPython 4, (formerly
Phoenix), documentation as it is much better organised than the older
documentation and largely still matches. In most cases 4 behaviour works
on 3 or even 2 but not the other way round because things that you could
maybe get away with in 2/3 were always wrong but not checked for and are
now checked for and produce an error rather than potential unexpected
behaviour.

Having recently started the exercise of moving to wxPython 4 I can say
that the porting side is not too bad and the guide is very helpful.
--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: What has happened to the wxPython 3x documentation??

Mike Driscoll-2

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Bob Klahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a complex application that uses Python 2x and wxPython 3x. My Googling for some wxPython 3x help this evening has brought back nothing but "The requested URL /docs/api/wx.Notebook-class.html was not found on this server." not-found pages.  What's happened to the wxPython 3x documentation??  I really need it!  I thought it might be at SourceForge, but I haven't found it there either.  E.g., I see "Unfortunately, this project hasn't indicated the best way to get help." at https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpython/support.

HELP!  Upgrading to Python 3x and wxPython 4x does not begin to be an option for me.

Bob

I have used the Phoenix documentation for a few years now for wxPython 2.8+ and it's worked for almost all cases. However as Steve pointed out, you can always download the documentation. The demo also includes the documentation for that particular release and can be accessed through the demo.

Mike