SearchCtrl does not show text unless it has focus

SearchCtrl does not show text unless it has focus

Brendan Simon (eTRIX)
I have a SearchCtrl in a panel, which I use to dynamically filter what is displayed in a ListCtrl.  This worked fine with wxPython 2.8.12.1 (OS X 32-bit Carbon, python2.7), but after upgrading to wxPython 3.0.2.0 (OS X 64-bit Cocoa) the SearchCtrl does not behave correctly.

(1) There is no "Search" hint text (grey) visible -- until the widget gains focus by clicking in it
(2) Any text I enter magically disappears when the ctrl loses focus -- the text returns when focus is regained.
(3) The cancel button is not visible -- until the widget gains focus by clicking in it -- though I have seen it remain once it does appear.

This can be seen in the demo too, so at least my code behaves consistently with the demo :)

Is this a wxPython bug or regression?
Could this be a Cocoa specific issue?

Thanks for any help,
Brendan.