Re: [wxPython] PySol for wxPython

Robin Dunn
> Hello everyone !
>
> I'm seriously considering rewriting the next major
> PySol release in wxPython and dropping all Tkinter
> and PyGnome stuff.

That would be SO cool!  I have thought several times about implementing a
platform layer for PySol using wxPython, but my brain just doesn't work the
same way that Tkinter does and so I always got lost...

Since PySol is, in many people's minds, Python's other killer app (next to
Zope) then this would mean real good things for wxPython! <grin>

> One major requirement for PySol is a fast handling of
> images including full support for transparency.
>
> Can anyone point me to some simple examples that do similar
> things so that I could do some preliminary testing ? I
> don't want to jump in if I can't get an adequate replacement
> for Tkinter's Canvas widget.

See the wxMask sample in the wxPython demo.  It shows using the various ROPs
to draw an image with a mask.

>From the little I know about Tkinter's Canvas I can say that I don't think
you will find anything as high-level in wxPython, but the low- and
medium-level primitives are there and I think are quite powerful.  The
closest thing is probably OGL's wxShapeCanvas (and a shape can be a bitmap as
well as the simple drawings shown in the sample) but it is really geared for
diagrams and such, I don't know how it would do with something like PySol.
Also, the OGL module is currently optional, so maybe not everybody would have
it.

I'd really like to see this conversion to wxPython happen, so if there is
anything I can to do help please let me know.

Re: [wxPython] PySol for wxPython

Robin Dunn
> From the little I know about Tkinter's Canvas I can say that I don't think
> you will find anything as high-level in wxPython, but the low- and
> medium-level primitives are there and I think are quite powerful.  The
> closest thing is probably OGL's wxShapeCanvas (and a shape can be a bitmap
as
> well as the simple drawings shown in the sample) but it is really geared
for
> diagrams and such, I don't know how it would do with something like PySol.
> Also, the OGL module is currently optional, so maybe not everybody would
have
> it.

Oh BTW, one of the demo programs that comes with wxWindows (C++) is a Forty
Theives game, so from a technical perspective at least, everything you need
should be there in the core library.

Re: [wxPython] PySol for wxPython

Ken Seehof-2
I've developed a dragable transparent objects module called
NiWidgets that probably has alot in common with what you
have in mind. I'm in the process of modularizing it and making
it suitable for sharing.  If you like, I can email you an alpha.

Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:

> Hello everyone !
>
> I'm seriously considering rewriting the next major
> PySol release in wxPython and dropping all Tkinter
> and PyGnome stuff.
>
> One major requirement for PySol is a fast handling of
> images including full support for transparency.
>
> Can anyone point me to some simple examples that do similar
> things so that I could do some preliminary testing ? I
> don't want to jump in if I can't get an adequate replacement
> for Tkinter's Canvas widget.
>
> Thanks,
> Markus
>
> http://pysol.tsx.org
>
> ----   Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer <[hidden email]>   ----
> ----             http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/               ----
> ----        5E CB 5C 85 DE AF 9E BF  E9 DA 7E 6A 39 F8 CC 67          ----
>
>                              3 WARPS TO URANUS

Re: [wxPython] PySol for wxPython

Ken Seehof-2
I've never used Tk or Gnome.

NiWidget features:

- Transparency and masked hit-test
- Forwards mouse messages to objects
- Multiple selection (like Windows desktop icons)
- Multiple images per object to indicate state (e.g. selection)
- Layers (each layer has a sorted list of objects)
- Hit-test search is reverse of draw order
- Smart two layer backplane (no flicker, fast smooth drag with minimum redraw)
- Convenient image loading system (put all images in one bitmap if you want)
- Supports custom non-bitmap objects such at lines and text and child windows
- Fully customizable by overloading functions

Unfortunately I've got a couple other tasks demanding my attention
so it will be a week or two before alpha (I've still got a few dependencies
with the rest of my app to clean up).

Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:

> I'd be happy to have a look, thanks. As my other mail
> explains I need something rather powerful, though.
>
> How do your widgets compare to Tk's or Gnome's Canvas ?
>
> Markus
>
> On 17-Feb-2000 Ken Seehof wrote:
> > I've developed a dragable transparent objects module called
> > NiWidgets that probably has alot in common with what you
> > have in mind. I'm in the process of modularizing it and making
> > it suitable for sharing.  If you like, I can email you an alpha.
> >
> > Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone !
> >>
> >> I'm seriously considering rewriting the next major
> >> PySol release in wxPython and dropping all Tkinter
> >> and PyGnome stuff.
> >>
> >> One major requirement for PySol is a fast handling of
> >> images including full support for transparency.
> >>
> >> Can anyone point me to some simple examples that do similar
> >> things so that I could do some preliminary testing ? I
> >> don't want to jump in if I can't get an adequate replacement
> >> for Tkinter's Canvas widget.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Markus
> >>
> >> http://pysol.tsx.org
> >>
> >> ----   Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer <[hidden email]>   ----
> >> ----             http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/               ----
> >> ----        5E CB 5C 85 DE AF 9E BF  E9 DA 7E 6A 39 F8 CC 67          ----
> >>
> >>                              3 WARPS TO URANUS
> >>

> ----   Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer <[hidden email]>   ----
> ----             http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/               ----
> ----        5E CB 5C 85 DE AF 9E BF  E9 DA 7E 6A 39 F8 CC 67          ----
>
>                              3 WARPS TO URANUS

Re: [wxPython] PySol for wxPython

Robin Dunn
> I've never used Tk or Gnome.
>
> NiWidget features:
>
> - Transparency and masked hit-test
> - Forwards mouse messages to objects
> - Multiple selection (like Windows desktop icons)
> - Multiple images per object to indicate state (e.g. selection)
> - Layers (each layer has a sorted list of objects)
> - Hit-test search is reverse of draw order
> - Smart two layer backplane (no flicker, fast smooth drag with minimum
redraw)
> - Convenient image loading system (put all images in one bitmap if you
want)
> - Supports custom non-bitmap objects such at lines and text and child
windows
> - Fully customizable by overloading functions

This sounds real cool Ken, I can't wait to see it!