Re: [wxPython] Documentation

Toby Perkins
> From: Chris Barker <[hidden email]>
> this is a free software project, so something only gets done if someone
The basis for many free software projects is a CVS server. Sadly, I
cannot volunteer it.
> 1: A document explaining how to translate the C++ docs to Python....
How about a cross-parser-documenter script (in Python, natch)?  A little
more challenging/interesting/less subject to obsolescence?  More fun and
hence more likely to be completed?
> 2: More annotation in the Demos.
Like, what?  What you call "annotation?"  Could be 40% of the solution.
> I am not qualified to do either (1) or (2), but I could be a central...
Qualified!  Gosh.  Do you got to be qualified?  Can I play anyway?  :-)
--Toby

Re: [wxPython] Documentation

Chris Barker-4
Toby Perkins wrote:

> > 1: A document explaining how to translate the C++ docs to Python....
> How about a cross-parser-documenter script (in Python, natch)?  A little
> more challenging/interesting/less subject to obsolescence?  More fun and
> hence more likely to be completed?

Now that's a great idea!

> > 2: More annotation in the Demos.
> Like, what?  What you call "annotation?"

The demo code has virtually no comments. A few domments can go along
way, like indicating what a function does when it's not obvious, and
perhaps letting the reader know what some of the other options might be,
etc...

>Could be 40% of the solution.

Yes, it certainly could!

> > I am not qualified to do either (1) or (2), but I could be a central...
> Qualified!  Gosh.  Do you got to be qualified?  Can I play anyway?  :-)

When I say "not qualified" I mean that I do know know C++, and find the
docs confusing. I also do not understand the demos very well. When I say
"qualified", I didn't mean to imply that there is anything official
about it.

The problem with documentation, and Robin mentioned this, is that those
of us that need it, can't write it, and once we learn the topic well
enough to write it, we don't need it any more.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.

Re: [wxPython] Documentation

Jeff-264
On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Chris Barker wrote:

Well, here's an idea.  Why don't us newbies go through the demos and add
our comments, along the lines of

#Huh?  Why is -1 being used here?

and the guru's can go back and fill in.  I can't write documentation yet,
but I sure am able to edit/ make suggestions.  That's where I can help.

-Jeff

PS: Robin- that quick start demo runner, run.py, got me on the right
track.  Thanks.

(various snippage)