Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

12

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

zylyco

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 18:50 -0700, Robin Dunn wrote:

Adding wx.TAB_TRAVERSAL does fix the tab/focus problem.

Python 2.6.2
wxpython 2.8.10.1
wxgtk 2.8.10.1

Thanks.

Hi all,

on various linux system, such like this one :
Python 2.7.9
wxGTK 3.0.2
wxPython 3.0.2.0
the problem is still present on my point of view.

The code is :
import wx
from wx.lib.masked import NumCtrl

print wx.version()

class Problem(wx.Dialog):
    def __init__(self, title, num2):
    wx.Dialog.__init__(self, None, -1, title)
    vbox = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
    vslot1 = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
    vbox.Add(vslot1, 1, wx.GROW)
    vslot2 = wx.FlexGridSizer(rows=4, cols=2, hgap=5, vgap=5)
    vbox.Add(vslot2)
    label = wx.StaticText(self, -1,
        """
        Typing Tab key in DatePickerCtrl doesn't move the focus.
        """)
    vslot1.Add(label, 1, wx.ALIGN_CENTER | wx.BOTTOM, 20)
    label.SetForegroundColour("Blue")
    date_label = wx.StaticText(self, -1,
        "Date (focus gets stuck here)")
    self.dpc = wx.DatePickerCtrl(self, -1, size=(120,-1), style = wx.TAB_TRAVERSAL)
    vslot2.Add(date_label)
    vslot2.Add(self.dpc)

    num1_label = wx.StaticText(self, -1,
        "Number 1 ")
    self.num1_numctrl = NumCtrl(self, -1,
        fractionWidth=6, selectOnEntry=False)
    vslot2.Add(num1_label)
    vslot2.Add(self.num1_numctrl)

    sizer = self.CreateSeparatedButtonSizer(wx.OK | wx.CANCEL)
    vbox.Add(sizer, 0, wx.GROW)
    self.SetSizer(vbox)
    self.Fit()
    self.num1_numctrl.SetFocus()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    app=wx.App()
    dialog = Problem('DatePicker Problem', 50.00)
    result = dialog.ShowModal()
    if result == wx.ID_OK:
    print "OK"
    print dialog.dpc.GetValue()
    else:
    print "Cancel"
    dialog.Destroy()

What do you think I'm missing ?

Thanks in advance

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

zylyco
I join the source file...

datepicker_problem.py (1K) Download Attachment

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

Igor Korot
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I join the source file...

Can you try placing the panel onto the dialog and then make all
controls children of that
panel?

Thank you.

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM,  <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="4MquXrfqAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">zyl...@...> wrote:
> I join the source file...

Can you try placing the panel onto the dialog and then make all
controls children of that
panel?

Hi Igor,

here's what I think you ask me for (not the same code, but a different way).

Thanks

datepickerctrl-test.py (4K) Download Attachment

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

zylyco
Hi again,

I'm still stucked, as my datepickerctrl focus...

Sorry to reuse this old post, but I tried various methods without success :
- with wx.TAB_TRAVERSAL, and/or with wx.WANTS_CHARS
- but the datepickerctrl only knows wx.EVT_DATE_CHANGED

For memory, my system is based on Linux (various distribution like openSuse, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint , etc, are used), with :
Python 2.7.9
wxGTK 3.0.2
wxPython 3.0.2.0
on any of these plaforms, the Tab key pressed within the datepickerctrl, doesn't produce the navigation to the next widget.

I tried wxPython Phoenix 4.0.3a as well, and I got the same behaviour, as I said :
also the datepickerctrl widget can't reach to free the focus using the "Tab key" ...

Here's attached to this message, a new source code, to use on a Linux system.

Are there people developing on Linux on board ?
Don't you use datepickerctrl on linux ?
Am I doing things in a wrong way...

Any help would be very appreciate.

Note:
I apologize for the flow of my words, it's due to my knowledge with the English language which is quite short.

datepickerctrl-focus-freeze.py (3K) Download Attachment

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

zylyco
Hi,

I tried to use the DatePickerCtrl widget with a C++ code, using wxWidgets 3.0.2 :
the Tab key on this widget doesn't navigate the focus either...

This seems a wxWidgets issue.

You can try by yourself with the files joined.

It's a pitty for me, because users prefer "Tab" key to navigate quickly.

I have to find another trick for my project. In this case, I'll post it.

Regards.

main.cpp (2K) Download Attachment
main.h (1K) Download Attachment

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to use the DatePickerCtrl widget with a C++ code, using wxWidgets
> 3.0.2 :
> the Tab key on this widget doesn't navigate the focus either...
>
> This seems a wxWidgets issue.
>
> You can try by yourself with the files joined.
>
> It's a pitty for me, because users prefer "Tab" key to navigate quickly.
>
> I have to find another trick for my project. In this case, I'll post it.

Are you using Linux?
What is you GTK+ version?

Did you try Windows/OSX as well?
Could you search if it is a known issue on trac.wxwidgets.org?

Thank you.

> Regards.

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

John Fabiani
I'm sorry guys could better explain what you mean by "doesn't navigate the focus"  I ran your python code using win10, Phoenix and Python 3.x (had to make some minor changes).  And I was able to navigate between the two date inputs.  I could pick a date with or without the check box and use the tab key to navigate to the next date input.  The only thing I noticed was it took two tab pushes to get to the first date input from the second input.  I think the panel was getting the focus on the first tab.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Igor Korot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to use the DatePickerCtrl widget with a C++ code, using wxWidgets
> 3.0.2 :
> the Tab key on this widget doesn't navigate the focus either...
>
> This seems a wxWidgets issue.
>
> You can try by yourself with the files joined.
>
> It's a pitty for me, because users prefer "Tab" key to navigate quickly.
>
> I have to find another trick for my project. In this case, I'll post it.

Are you using Linux?
What is you GTK+ version?

Did you try Windows/OSX as well?
Could you search if it is a known issue on trac.wxwidgets.org?

Thank you.

> Regards.

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

zylyco
Are you using Linux?
What is you GTK+ version?

Did you try Windows/OSX as well?
Could you search if it is a known issue on <a href="http://trac.wxwidgets.org" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ftrac.wxwidgets.org\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNExQNhI0mYZSFIGuOEJc_Mjo_rflg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ftrac.wxwidgets.org\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNExQNhI0mYZSFIGuOEJc_Mjo_rflg&#39;;return true;">trac.wxwidgets.org?

Thank you.

My software with wxPython/DatePickerCtrl runs as expected on Windows :
inside the widget, I press " Tab " key, on the "focus" jumps to the next widget.

But on each Linux system I tried (Ubuntu, openSuse, Fedora, Mint, MageIA, CentOS, Debian), in case I used the packages provides for wxPython, but as well if I've installed it from sources :
when the " focus " is inside the DatePickerCtrl, the " Tab " Key used to "jump" to the next Widget is not working... I'm blocked inside the DatePickerCtrl, and the only way to move from here, is to use the mouse to select the next widget...

I don't have tried on OSx, because I don't use it, so I don't know for this system.

On each of my Linux systems, I have :
Python 2.7.x
wxGTK 3.0.2
wxPython 3.0.2.0

I repeat, on Windows7/8/10, I don't have any kind of problem with this Widget, it works fine.

But I've noticed this behaviour on all the Linux systems I'm using...

I checked on trac.wxwidgets.org an found :
http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/11630
I'll post there a message tomorrow to report the issue again.

Bye

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Are you using Linux?
>> What is you GTK+ version?
>>
>> Did you try Windows/OSX as well?
>> Could you search if it is a known issue on trac.wxwidgets.org?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> My software with wxPython/DatePickerCtrl runs as expected on Windows :
> inside the widget, I press " Tab " key, on the "focus" jumps to the next
> widget.
>
> But on each Linux system I tried (Ubuntu, openSuse, Fedora, Mint, MageIA,
> CentOS, Debian), in case I used the packages provides for wxPython, but as
> well if I've installed it from sources :
> when the " focus " is inside the DatePickerCtrl, the " Tab " Key used to
> "jump" to the next Widget is not working... I'm blocked inside the
> DatePickerCtrl, and the only way to move from here, is to use the mouse to
> select the next widget...
>
> I don't have tried on OSx, because I don't use it, so I don't know for this
> system.
>
> On each of my Linux systems, I have :
> Python 2.7.x
> wxGTK 3.0.2
> wxPython 3.0.2.0

Was you wxWidgets C++ code compiled against GTK+2 or GTK+3?
What is an exact version?

Thank you.

> I repeat, on Windows7/8/10, I don't have any kind of problem with this
> Widget, it works fine.
>
> But I've noticed this behaviour on all the Linux systems I'm using...
>
> I checked on trac.wxwidgets.org an found :
> http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/11630
> I'll post there a message tomorrow to report the issue again.
>
> Bye

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

zylyco
Was you wxWidgets C++ code compiled against GTK+2 or GTK+3?
What is an exact version?

I had run :
g++ main.cpp main.h  `wx-config --cxxflags --libs` -o simple

[regis@localhost cpp-gtk3]$ wx-config --list
    Default config is gtk2-unicode-3.0
  Default config will be used for output

But I've run too with this command :
g++ main.cpp main.h  `wx-config-3.0 --cxxflags --libs` -o simple
And the result was the same as bad...

Thanks

try by yourself with the files joined

firefox
> the Tab key on this widget doesn't navigate the focus either...

> You can try by yourself with the files joined.

small wonder! You used wxglade ! wxglade never works for anything !

you delivered the proof yourself !

the source file

firefox
> I join the source file...

dude, that stuff is not working !

Re: the source file

zylyco

Le vendredi 16 juin 2017 14:10:16 UTC+2, [hidden email] a écrit :
> I join the source file...

dude, that stuff is not working !

Which code is not working ? I post various files.
The py one ?
Or the c++ code ?

May be it doesn't work for you because I created them under Linux, and not have tried them under Windows (there's no widget problem on windows, only on linux)

I created these examples to explain/show the problem under linux, but the software I'm working on is not based on wxGlade, and I have the problem too.

Re: the source file

firefox

this one (attached)    :-)

On 16.06.2017 22:24, [hidden email] wrote:

> Le vendredi 16 juin 2017 14:10:16 UTC+2, [hidden email] a écrit :
>
>      > I join the source file...
>

>     dude, that stuff is not working !
>

> Which code is not working ? I post various files.
> The py one ?
> Or the c++ code ?
>

> May be it doesn't work for you because I created them under Linux, and
> not have tried them under Windows (there's no widget problem on windows,
> only on linux)
>
> I created these examples to explain/show the problem under linux, but
> the software I'm working on is not based on wxGlade, and I have the
> problem too.

datepickerctrl-test.py (4K) Download Attachment

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

Dietmar Schwertberger-2
On 6/15/17 7:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
I checked on trac.wxwidgets.org an found :
http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/11630
I'll post there a message tomorrow to report the issue again.
Yes, please work with the wx people on this. I also see this behaviour on Ubuntu with a recent wxPython Phoenix snapshot and Python 3.
The focus behaviour is completely different. On Linux the full text is selected, on Windows only the day. This might be influenced by different date and number format settings, though.

As temporary solution you may want to implement a workaround for your application.
E.g. you could try to implement a handler for wx.EVT_KEY_UP.

In one dialog, I use this code to navigate with the up/down keys. You probably can adapt this to handle the tab key.

ctrl.Bind(wx.EVT_KEY_UP, self._on_cursor_up_down)

def _on_cursor_up_down(self, evt):
        # move to the same control in the row above/below
        if not evt.KeyCode in (wx.WXK_UP,wx.WXK_DOWN):
            evt.Skip()
            return
        name,r = self.control_ids[evt.EventObject.Id]
        print(name, r)
        new_r = r-1 if (evt.KeyCode == wx.WXK_UP) else r+1
        if new_r<0 or new_r>=len(self.readouts):
            evt.Skip()
            return
        self.controls[name,new_r].SetFocus()

Regards,
Dietmar

Re: problem with DatePickerCtrl

zylyco

As temporary solution you may want to implement a workaround for your application.
E.g. you could try to implement a handler for wx.EVT_KEY_UP.

In one dialog, I use this code to navigate with the up/down keys. You probably can adapt this to handle the tab key.

ctrl.Bind(wx.EVT_KEY_UP, self._on_cursor_up_down)

Thank you Dietmar,

but I don't think it can works, because the only event recognized by the DatePickerCtrl is the wx.EVT_DATE_CHANGED.

On 6/17/17 6:07 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
but I don't think it can works, because the only event recognized by the DatePickerCtrl is the wx.EVT_DATE_CHANGED.
EVT_DATE_CHANGED is the only event that is specific to this control, but it will still get the other standard events from the base classes, especially keyboard and mouse events.
I have just checked on Windows that things are working as expected. There's a hypothetical chance that on Linux it is not generated, if the control is implemented in a special way.

If wxGlade gave you the impression that this is the only event, then I'm sorry. I don't understand why Alberto and Carsten did only support the specific events. Support of the other events is on my todo list.

Regards,

Dietmar

On 6/17/17 6:07 PM, <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="VDIYfUhFAwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">zyl...@... wrote:
but I don't think it can works, because the only event recognized by the DatePickerCtrl is the wx.EVT_DATE_CHANGED.
EVT_DATE_CHANGED is the only event that is specific to this control, but it will still get the other standard events from the base classes, especially keyboard and mouse events.
I have just checked on Windows that things are working as expected. There's a hypothetical chance that on Linux it is not generated, if the control is implemented in a special way.

If wxGlade gave you the impression that this is the only event, then I'm sorry. I don't understand why Alberto and Carsten did only support the specific events. Support of the other events is on my todo list.

I tried others events like EVT_KEY_DOWN or EVT_KEY_UP, but on Linux they seem not working at all.
I noticed that EVT_CHAR is detected in the datepickerctrl widget : the ENTER / UP / DOWN keys are recognized, but not at all the TAB one...

I'll do some more tests later.
I'll post the results as well.

Note :
I'll have to check John's idea too, with Dabo package.

And thanks again.

12