Quantcast

Re: [PyCrust] Some enhancements. Any interest?

Re: [PyCrust] Some enhancements. Any interest?

Bill Baxter-2

I am interested in changes and enhancements to PyCrust.  I'm planning to
provide Subversion and Trac support as well as a website ( pycrust.org)
to support these community efforts.  Once that is in place I will shut
down the sourceforge project, or at least make sure it redirects better.
For now the wxPython-users list is the best place to discuss these things.

Cool.  I put the files for my changes to pycrust up at
  http://www.billbaxter.com/tmp/bb-pycrust-0.1.0.zip
They're in their own package, but you should be able to diff the files against the corresponding wx/py files to see changes.

--Bill

Re: [PyCrust] Some enhancements. Any interest?

Sebastian Haase
Hi Patrick!
Good to hear from you !
That sounds great that you are still with us and with PyCrust ;-)

+ why is there a need for a special "PyCrust subversion" - isn't PyCrust now
"part" of wxPython !? see below...

+ I would really suggest to stop using  the pycrust-users list for now ...
(I'm cross posting to wxPython-users)
+ Further I would suggest to IMMEDIATELY make a note to the sourceforge page
that PyCrust 0.6 from 2001(?) is NOT the latest and that instead there it is
now (more) incorporated into wxPython itself ( refer wxPython.org frontpage
and also the wxPython wiki)
+ To clarify on the name: As Robin wrote just recently (2006-02-15 14:08: "Re:
[wxPython-users]  Re: Pycrust enhancement with plugins")  I would like get
your - Patrick - blessing of officially calling the whole project  "PyCrust"
again - "Py" is too often used as generic prefix as not googleble either !

+ I had some improvements myself that mostly made it into the 2.6.2 wPython
version (see ChangeLog): most often I use the "free edit"-mode to clean out
100s of lines of "accidental" output; also I like using the search function;
the folding function should be made to support nested folds, but I'm not
really using it much anymore...
What I do use a lot is: drag&drop of files into the shell window to trigger a
"paste" of the filename. (I don't think this made it into wxPython !)

+ I like Bill's idea of adding 'ls' and 'cd' (or other shell functions) - the
same way IPython does it -- but I'm not clear of what a good "syntax" would
be for this (maybe just a '.[a-zA-Z ]' at the start of the line (or even a
space ' ') -- I just think that IPython is much to complex and should not be
followed all the way ...

+ I /would/ like "tab"-completion on variable-, module-, function-,
module-attributes-,... names (if not unique a popup)  -- but this is just an
idea...

Thanks for PyCrust !
Sebastian Haase

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 04:51, Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:

> Sebastian Haase wrote:
> > Hi Bill,
> > Yes *I* was somehow on this list (didn't know though) ;-)
> > Good to hear that PyCrust is alive !
> > I would suggest:
> > Please repost your message directly to the wxPython-users list.
> > With the last update of 2.6.2  there have been some improvements to
> > PyCrust  - some overlap with yours ...
> >
> > I certainly agree that the sourceforge page is nothing but a trap !! It
> > should be deleted ! Or clearly stated that wxPython.org (maybe it's
> > wiki) is the place to look.
>
> I am interested in changes and enhancements to PyCrust.  I'm planning to
> provide Subversion and Trac support as well as a website (pycrust.org)
> to support these community efforts.  Once that is in place I will shut
> down the sourceforge project, or at least make sure it redirects better.
>  For now the wxPython-users list is the best place to discuss these things.

Re: [PyCrust] Some enhancements. Any interest?

FranzSt
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:40:56 -0800, Sebastian Haase <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Patrick!
>Good to hear from you !
>That sounds great that you are still with us and with PyCrust ;-)
>
>+ why is there a need for a special "PyCrust subversion" - isn't PyCrust now
>"part" of wxPython !? see below...

Patrick replied? where? Did I miss something? ;)

--
Franz Steinhaeusler

Re: Re: [PyCrust] Some enhancements. Any interest?

Sebastian Haase
On Wednesday 01 March 2006 12:04, Franz Steinhäusler wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:40:56 -0800, Sebastian Haase <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> >Hi Patrick!
> >Good to hear from you !
> >That sounds great that you are still with us and with PyCrust ;-)
> >
> >+ why is there a need for a special "PyCrust subversion" - isn't PyCrust
> > now "part" of wxPython !? see below...
>
> Patrick replied? where? Did I miss something? ;)

check the pyCrust list at sourceforge -- it's practically dead !! see my
posting.
--
Sebastian Haase

Re: [PyCrust] Some enhancements. Any interest?

Patrick K. O'Brien
Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Hi Patrick!
> Good to hear from you !
> That sounds great that you are still with us and with PyCrust ;-)

Barely.  ;-)

Because I'm not doing too much with wxPython these days, and am spending
most of my time on Schevo, I find it impossible to participate on the
wxPython mailing lists.  (So be sure to CC: me on any replies or I won't
see them.)

> + why is there a need for a special "PyCrust subversion" - isn't PyCrust now
> "part" of wxPython !? see below...

I think there are advantages to both.  There is an advantage to
distributing PyCrust with wxPython as we have been doing.  There are
also potential advantages to having a separate PyCrust project that, for
example, could package up a standalone program and facilitate the
development of plugins, independent of wxPython releases.

Believe it or not, some people want PyCrust but don't want all of
wxPython (ignoring any technical details).

It would also be easier for me to participate if PyCrust were a separate
project with its own Subversion repository, its own Trac tickets, and
its own mailing list.  I can provide all of those under the pycrust.org
domain.  We would then need to coordinate with Robin to synchronize
source code on some frequency so wxPython can continue to include PyCrust.

This is just a rough idea - I'm open to other suggestions.

> + I would really suggest to stop using  the pycrust-users list for now ...
> (I'm cross posting to wxPython-users)

I agree with not using SourceForge.  But I think a separate mailing list
makes sense if we want to proceed with this idea.

> + Further I would suggest to IMMEDIATELY make a note to the sourceforge page
> that PyCrust 0.6 from 2001(?) is NOT the latest and that instead there it is
> now (more) incorporated into wxPython itself ( refer wxPython.org frontpage
> and also the wxPython wiki)

The description was changed a long time ago.  Suggestions are welcome.
SourceForge does not make it easy to remove stuff.

> + To clarify on the name: As Robin wrote just recently (2006-02-15 14:08: "Re:
> [wxPython-users]  Re: Pycrust enhancement with plugins")  I would like get
> your - Patrick - blessing of officially calling the whole project  "PyCrust"
> again - "Py" is too often used as generic prefix as not googleble either !

My dream of creating an uber editor toolset named "py" has died out,
though it would appear that Stani now carries that torch.  :-)

In any case, PyCrust is fine with me as the project name.  As for the
package name, I would go with the consensus although wx.py.crust does
not phase me in the least.  Others may disagree.

> Thanks for PyCrust !

You're quite welcome.

So, where do we want to go from here?  How does this fit with Stani's
proposal, which looks intriguing although I haven't had time to follow
the thread.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech       http://www.orbtech.com

Re: Re: [PyCrust] Some enhancements. Any interest?

Stani-2
On 3/5/06, Patrick K. O'Brien <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, where do we want to go from here?  How does this fit with Stani's
> proposal, which looks intriguing although I haven't had time to follow
> the thread.

If everything goes ok, I'll launch today the website for the
colloboration project. It took a while because I have been emailing
with various developers, who all got excited. Except of two IDE
projects, everybody else (including Patrick ;-) stepped on board now,
which makes the list pretty impressive.  Hopefully this give this
project enough momentum to attract as well other enthousiastic
developers, as it will not be just about ideas (there are plenty) but
also about coding right away.

I'll announce it here soon as well as comp.lang.python.

Stay tuned!

Stani

--
http://pythonide.stani.be