Problems playing videos created with ffmpeg

Problems playing videos created with ffmpeg

Gabrielle C

I developed a video player using wx.media.MediaCtrl. It works for some videos, but for others I get one of the following:

-> I can't even load the file (the file location is absolute and correct);

-> I can load the file, but it doesn't play (I get only a black square);

All .mkv files don't load, so I am assuming that it is not supported (I didn't find the supported extensions anywhere in the docs), but some .mov play and other .mov get only a black screen.

Note 1: All the files I am testing (working or not) were generated through ffmpeg;

Note 2: Except for the .mkv all tested files work on QuickTime and all (including .mkv) work with ffplay

Note 3: I am using High Sierra/ Python 3.6/ wxPython 4.0.1 osx-cocoa (phoenix)

Any idea?

Re: Problems playing videos created with ffmpeg

Tim Roberts
Gabrielle C wrote:

I developed a video player using wx.media.MediaCtrl. It works for some videos, but for others I get one of the following:

-> I can't even load the file (the file location is absolute and correct);

-> I can load the file, but it doesn't play (I get only a black square);

All .mkv files don't load, so I am assuming that it is not supported (I didn't find the supported extensions anywhere in the docs), but some .mov play and other .mov get only a black screen.

.mkv and .mov are not compression formats.  They are just containers, like .avi.  You have to look inside them to figure out what the compression format is.   Might be MPEG2, might be H.264, might be something weird.  Because the .mkv and .mov containers are not industry standards, they are not supported by all players.  The .mov container was created by Apple for QuickTime.

wx.media.MediaCtrl on macOS should be using AVKit.  I can believe it doesn't do .mkv, but I'm surprised there are .mov formats it doesn't understand.  Can you look at them in VLC to see what format the video stream actually is?

Re: Problems playing videos created with ffmpeg

Gabrielle C
Hi Tim,

The mkv (not even load) is encoded as:

According to VLC.

The mov (that works and the one that doesn't) are also the same codec.