Phoenix demos

Virgil Stokes
There is an excellent collection of wxPython/Phoenix at
https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/tree/master/demo

How can one execute these examples, individually; i.e., without using
the demo? I would like to extract some of these demos, modify them, and
then use them without the demo wrapper.

Re: Phoenix demos

Mike Driscoll
Hi,

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 2:55:47 PM UTC-6, Birdy wrote:
There is an excellent collection of wxPython/Phoenix at

How can one execute these examples, individually; i.e., without using
the demo? I would like to extract some of these demos, modify them, and
then use them without the demo wrapper.

I think I wrote something up about this, but all I can find is this thrashed thing I might have written in the wxPython wiki:

https://wiki.wxpython.org/action/recall/Using%20wxPython%20Demo%20Code?action=recall&rev=3

So I just put together a quick example for you: https://gist.github.com/driscollis/88636400caf6f593901982781bddda76

Hopefully that helps. I'll post this to the user group too. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Phoenix demos

Rufus V. Smith
I remember that being a bit of a pain with the old docs and demos because of the wrapping (and my lack
of being an expert).  I also remember seeing a writeup years later, that made it make more sense.  Sorry
i don't have the writeup at my fingertips.

> On Jan 18, 2018, at 3:55 PM, Virgil Stokes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is an excellent collection of wxPython/Phoenix at https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/tree/master/demo
>
> How can one execute these examples, individually; i.e., without using the demo? I would like to extract some of these demos, modify them, and then use them without the demo wrapper.

Re: Phoenix demos

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
By the way, I have a collection of (some very) old demos here:

They have not been updated for Phoenix, and indeed, many have not been updated for even "modern" wxPy3.

But I still think they are useful, I'd love folks to take a look, and send me PRs with updates!

-CHB

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Rufus Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
I remember that being a bit of a pain with the old docs and demos because of the wrapping (and my lack
of being an expert).  I also remember seeing a writeup years later, that made it make more sense.  Sorry
i don't have the writeup at my fingertips.

> On Jan 18, 2018, at 3:55 PM, Virgil Stokes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is an excellent collection of wxPython/Phoenix at https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/tree/master/demo
>
> How can one execute these examples, individually; i.e., without using the demo? I would like to extract some of these demos, modify them, and then use them without the demo wrapper.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: Phoenix demos

José Ricardo Borba
Hi, Chris,
Your message miss the link!
Best Regards

By the way, I have a collection of (some very) old demos here:

They have not been updated for Phoenix, and indeed, many have not been updated for even "modern" wxPy3.

But I still think they are useful, I'd love folks to take a look, and send me PRs with updates!

-CHB

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Rufus Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
I remember that being a bit of a pain with the old docs and demos because of the wrapping (and my lack
of being an expert).  I also remember seeing a writeup years later, that made it make more sense.  Sorry
i don't have the writeup at my fingertips.

> On Jan 18, 2018, at 3:55 PM, Virgil Stokes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is an excellent collection of wxPython/Phoenix at https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/tree/master/demo
>
> How can one execute these examples, individually; i.e., without using the demo? I would like to extract some of these demos, modify them, and then use them without the demo wrapper.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R            <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6959" value="+12065266959" target="_blank">(206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6329" value="+12065266329" target="_blank">(206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6317" value="+12065266317" target="_blank">(206) 526-6317   main reception

José Ricardo Borba

Re: Phoenix demos

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:10 AM, José Ricardo Borba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Chris,
Your message miss the link!

yes, not that useful!

Here you go:

Sorry about that,

-CHB

Best Regards

By the way, I have a collection of (some very) old demos here:

They have not been updated for Phoenix, and indeed, many have not been updated for even "modern" wxPy3.

But I still think they are useful, I'd love folks to take a look, and send me PRs with updates!

-CHB

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Rufus Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
I remember that being a bit of a pain with the old docs and demos because of the wrapping (and my lack
of being an expert).  I also remember seeing a writeup years later, that made it make more sense.  Sorry
i don't have the writeup at my fingertips.

> On Jan 18, 2018, at 3:55 PM, Virgil Stokes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is an excellent collection of wxPython/Phoenix at https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/tree/master/demo
>
> How can one execute these examples, individually; i.e., without using the demo? I would like to extract some of these demos, modify them, and then use them without the demo wrapper.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R            <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6959" value="+12065266959" target="_blank">(206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6329" value="+12065266329" target="_blank">(206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6317" value="+12065266317" target="_blank">(206) 526-6317   main reception

José Ricardo Borba

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: Phoenix demos

Mike Driscoll
To anyone in this thread that is interested, I did go ahead and put together a tutorial on this subject and posted it on my blog here:

https://www.blog.pythonlibrary.org/2018/01/23/how-to-use-wxpython-demo-code-outside-the-demo/

- Mike

Re: Phoenix demos

José Ricardo Borba
Very good to people new to wxPython (like me).
Thanks a lot!

Best regards,