Phoenix as a Debian package

Martin Manns
Hello

I am trying to port the application pyspread
(https://manns.github.io/pyspread/index.html) to Phoenix using Debian
sid. I am using the code from
https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix
Compilation goes well (a huge improvement to a year ago's attempt!).
However, there still seem to be some minor issues with the
wx.__version__ naming (on Python 3.5, 64 bit).

I could resolve those by changing files in Phoenix. However, I am
unsure if I should send a pull request because this may be Python
version dependent and I have tested the fix only for Python 3.5.

Ideally, I would like to develop against a deb package. If no such
package exists, a tagged commit that works in my configuration would be
nice.

Please let me know if such a pre-built package exists and if yes where
I can get it.

Martin

Re: Phoenix as a Debian package

Scott Talbert
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017, Martin Manns wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am trying to port the application pyspread
> (https://manns.github.io/pyspread/index.html) to Phoenix using Debian
> sid. I am using the code from
> https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix
> Compilation goes well (a huge improvement to a year ago's attempt!).
> However, there still seem to be some minor issues with the
> wx.__version__ naming (on Python 3.5, 64 bit).
>
> I could resolve those by changing files in Phoenix. However, I am
> unsure if I should send a pull request because this may be Python
> version dependent and I have tested the fix only for Python 3.5.

What problem(s) are you seeing with the wx.__version__ naming?  Or just
share your patch here.

> Ideally, I would like to develop against a deb package. If no such
> package exists, a tagged commit that works in my configuration would be
> nice.
>
> Please let me know if such a pre-built package exists and if yes where
> I can get it.

I have been meaning to work on packaging Phoenix for debian but I haven't
gotten around to it yet.  I don't know of any existing packages.

Scott

Re: Phoenix as a Debian package

Martin Manns
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 19:32:43 -0500 (EST)
Scott Talbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What problem(s) are you seeing with the wx.__version__ naming?  Or
> just share your patch here.

I just got my mistake:
If you compile Phoenix against python3.5 and try to import it from
python2.7 then it complains about _core missing, wx.__version__ etc:

$ python3
Python 3.5.3 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:11:04)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170118] on linux
>>> import wx

Works as expected but:

$ python
Python 2.7.13 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:48:08)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170118] on linux2
>>> import wx
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "wx/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from wx.core import *
  File "wx/core.py", line 12, in <module>
    from ._core import *
ImportError: No module named _core

While I can cope with this for development, it will surely make
packaging more difficult. What about:
1) Symlinking _core.py to core.py
2) Making the version import Python2 compatible?

Martin

Re: Phoenix as a Debian package

Scott Talbert
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017, Martin Manns wrote:

> I just got my mistake:
> If you compile Phoenix against python3.5 and try to import it from
> python2.7 then it complains about _core missing, wx.__version__ etc:
>

> $ python3
> Python 3.5.3 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:11:04)
> [GCC 6.3.0 20170118] on linux
>>>>

> Works as expected but:
>

> $ python
> Python 2.7.13 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:48:08)
> [GCC 6.3.0 20170118] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "wx/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
>    from wx.core import *
>  File "wx/core.py", line 12, in <module>
>    from ._core import *
> ImportError: No module named _core
>
> While I can cope with this for development, it will surely make
> packaging more difficult. What about:
> 1) Symlinking _core.py to core.py
> 2) Making the version import Python2 compatible?

Unfortunately, it's not that easy.  You'll have to recompile Phoenix with
Python 2 if you want to use the Python 2 version.  It has to be compiled
separately.

Scott

Re: Phoenix as a Debian package

Karsten Hilbert
On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 07:32:43PM -0500, Scott Talbert wrote:

> I have been meaning to work on packaging Phoenix for debian but I haven't
> gotten around to it yet.

You'd be my hero. I would owe you a beverage of choice or two
should we meet anywhere.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346