Phoenix and Linux repositories

12

Phoenix and Linux repositories

Donn Ingle
Hi,
 I searched around a bit, but I think this is a newish question:

Is Phoenix ready to be on the formal .deb/.rpm repos for Linux? What's the ETA, etc?

I could move my little app up to Python 3 if it were. I am a little worried that Python 2.7 is soon to be dropped and I'll be somewhat stuck.

I'll totally understand if it's not on the horizon. Thankful that you all keep hacking on it. Good luck!
Thanks,
Donn
(Fonty Python.)

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Scott Talbert
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, /d wrote:

> Hi,
>  I searched around a bit, but I think this is a newish question:
>
> Is Phoenix ready to be on the formal .deb/.rpm repos for Linux? What's the
> ETA, etc?
>
> I could move my little app up to Python 3 if it were. I am a little worried
> that Python 2.7 is soon to be dropped and I'll be somewhat stuck.
>
> I'll totally understand if it's not on the horizon. Thankful that you all
> keep hacking on it. Good luck!
> Thanks,
> Donn
> (Fonty Python.)
I am planning to package Phoenix for Fedora (and probably Debian too) but
I am waiting for the first official non-beta release.  This seems like it
may be soon as Robin has moved to "rc" designations for the beta releases.

Scott

On 9 November 2017 at 16:08, Scott Talbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am planning to package Phoenix for Fedora (and probably Debian too) but I am waiting for the first official non-beta release.  This seems like it may be soon as Robin has moved to "rc" designations for the beta releases.

Magic! I'll poke my head out again early next year and look around.

Thanks, and all the best,
/d

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Karsten Hilbert
On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 09:08:25AM -0500, Scott Talbert wrote:

>>  I searched around a bit, but I think this is a newish question:
>>
>> Is Phoenix ready to be on the formal .deb/.rpm repos for Linux? What's the
>> ETA, etc?
>
> I am planning to package Phoenix for Fedora (and probably Debian too) but I
> am waiting for the first official non-beta release.

You'd be my hero for providing DEBs.

They are sorely needed for bringing GNUmed (http://www.gnumed.de)
into the age of Python3/wxP4.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Donn Ingle
A January bump for the news about wxPython 4 on Linux repos. Is there a chance?

I worry because Python 2 is going to be dead very soon and decision have to be made this year about continuing to use wxPython, or switching to something else like (urgh..) python-gobject. (I only urgh it because of the learning curve I'm facing. It might be okay, I dunno.)

Perhaps some kind of beta release on Launchpad as a PPA (I don't know what the rpm version of that is)?

Hoping for the best,
/d

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, /d wrote:

Hi,
 I searched around a bit, but I think this is a newish question:

Is Phoenix ready to be on the formal .deb/.rpm repos for Linux? What's the
ETA, etc?

I could move my little app up to Python 3 if it were. I am a little worried
that Python 2.7 is soon to be dropped and I'll be somewhat stuck.

I'll totally understand if it's not on the horizon. Thankful that you all
keep hacking on it. Good luck!
Thanks,
Donn
(Fonty Python.)

I am planning to package Phoenix for Fedora (and probably Debian too) but I am waiting for the first official non-beta release.  This seems like it may be soon as Robin has moved to "rc" designations for the beta releases.

Scott

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Tim Roberts
Donn Ingle wrote:
> A January bump for the news about wxPython 4 on Linux repos. Is there
> a chance?
>
> I worry because Python 2 is going to be dead very soon...

I doubt it.  Rumors of Python 2's demise have been reported for the
entire 10 years of Python 3's existence.  I certainly don't see any
slacking off in Python 2 development.  It is a fascinating study, and it
shows just how useful and solid Python 2 was.

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Mario Lacunza-2
Its offcial now, Python 2 EOL is 2020: https://pythonclock.org/

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: [hidden email]
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Skype: mlacunzav

Lima - Peru

Donn Ingle wrote:
> A January bump for the news about wxPython 4 on Linux repos. Is there
> a chance?
>
> I worry because Python 2 is going to be dead very soon...

I doubt it.  Rumors of Python 2's demise have been reported for the
entire 10 years of Python 3's existence.  I certainly don't see any
slacking off in Python 2 development.  It is a fascinating study, and it
shows just how useful and solid Python 2 was.

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Dietmar Schwertberger-2
On 1/8/2018 6:28 PM, Mario Lacunza wrote:
> You can install Phoenix from Pip now, you dont need any prebuild package.

When doing so, please be aware that Pip does not find the Linux binaries
by default and tries to build from source instead.
See the section "Yes, we have Linux Wheels. Sort of." on the download page.

Regards,

Dietmar

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Rufus V. Smith
I looked at that pythonclock.org link, but there is no indication it is an official site.

Donn Ingle wrote:
> A January bump for the news about wxPython 4 on Linux repos. Is there
> a chance?
>
> I worry because Python 2 is going to be dead very soon...

I doubt it.  Rumors of Python 2's demise have been reported for the
entire 10 years of Python 3's existence.  I certainly don't see any
slacking off in Python 2 development.  It is a fascinating study, and it
shows just how useful and solid Python 2 was.

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Scott Talbert
The answer is pretty much the same as before.  I'm still waiting on an
official release to move forward with official packaging.

I can, however, make a PPA though, so I'll work on that.

I have had a COPR (Fedora PPA-like repository) for quite some time with
RPMs:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/swt2c/wxPython-Phoenix/

On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 11:51:47PM -0500, Scott Talbert wrote:

> The answer is pretty much the same as before.  I'm still waiting on an
> official release to move forward with official packaging.
>
> I can, however, make a PPA though, so I'll work on that.

Yes, please !! :-)

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Donn Ingle
Scott,
 That would be grand!
I am sure it will be good to start facing the teething troubles of the process sooner than later.
(I shall have to figure out how to keep both versions apart somehow as I start the 3 -> 4 conversion. Eek!)

Do you have any news from Robin et al. re a release date? (Should I join the dev list instead and ask there?)

Thanks,
/d

      On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, /d wrote:

[...]

I've visited that page ( https://wxpython.org/pages/downloads/ ) and shied-away from an install for a few reasons: I don't want to damage wxPy 3.x as it's installed now; and the instructions confuse me. (I don't know what manylinux1 is, etc.)

I figured if I was confused by it, then users of my app would not be enthusiastic either.

This makes me wonder at the best ways to start a 3.x -> 4.x upgrade of my app. I'll start a new thread.

Thanks,
/d

On 8 January 2018 at 20:56, Dietmar Schwertberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1/8/2018 6:28 PM, Mario Lacunza wrote:
You can install Phoenix from Pip now, you dont need any prebuild package.

When doing so, please be aware that Pip does not find the Linux binaries by default and tries to build from source instead.
See the section "Yes, we have Linux Wheels. Sort of." on the download page.

Regards,

Dietmar

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Mario Lacunza-2
What about click in the first link in that page?

Donn Ingle wrote:
> A January bump for the news about wxPython 4 on Linux repos. Is there
> a chance?
>
> I worry because Python 2 is going to be dead very soon...

I doubt it.  Rumors of Python 2's demise have been reported for the
entire 10 years of Python 3's existence.  I certainly don't see any
slacking off in Python 2 development.  It is a fascinating study, and it
shows just how useful and solid Python 2 was.

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Mario Lacunza-2
Use virtualenv !

Enviado desde mi celular LG

El 9 ene. 2018 04:50, "Donn Ingle" <[hidden email]> escribió:
[...]

Mario, what's that link apropos too?

It does support that Python 2 is history in 2020. (This doesn't give me a lot of time to upgrade to wxPython 4, as I can only code for a small portion in a year.)

/d

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:23:58 AM UTC-8, /d wrote:
Scott,
 That would be grand!
I am sure it will be good to start facing the teething troubles of the process sooner than later.
(I shall have to figure out how to keep both versions apart somehow as I start the 3 -> 4 conversion. Eek!)

Do you have any news from Robin et al. re a release date? (Should I join the dev list instead and ask there?)

I've learned the hard way to not give dates and usually just say that it will be released when it's ready. It does feel like it's getting close however. The project is really too big and understaffed to shoot for a perfect release, but when it feels like it's good enough for most people then that's when I start considering making a release.

http://wxPython.org

Re: Phoenix and Linux repositories

Rufus V. Smith
There it was, right in front of my face!

I must have been multitasking the first time I looked there.

Sorry about that.

Thanks, Mario!