No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

tsmorton
When trying to play audio using wx.MediaCtrl in the Demo or otherwise on Linux Mint 18.1 with wxPython Classic 3.0.2 an error comes up stating,

"Could not initialise AV output"

wx.Media is installed plus gstreamer and required plugins. Also, the Linux app, xPlayer, which also uses gstreamer will play audio so the issue must be with wxWidgets or wxPython.

Any suggestions?

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Dietmar Schwertberger-2
On 4/12/2018 7:16 PM, tsmorton wrote:
> When trying to play audio using wx.MediaCtrl in the Demo or otherwise
> on Linux Mint 18.1 with wxPython Classic 3.0.2 an error comes up stating,

> wx.Media is installed plus gstreamer and required plugins. Also, the
> Linux app, xPlayer, which also uses gstreamer will play audio so the
> issue must be with wxWidgets or wxPython.
>
> Any suggestions?
I doubt that anyone will fix anything on Classic anymore.
I would suggest to try with wxPython 4.0 and maybe even on Python 3.

Have a look at the download page about binary installation:
https://wxpython.org/pages/downloads/
(be aware that "pip" proabably will install for Python 2; you may want
to use "python3 -mpip" instead)

If it still fails, then bug reporting makes sense....

Regards,

Dietmar

tsmorton wrote:

> When trying to play audio using wx.MediaCtrl in the Demo or otherwise
> on Linux Mint 18.1 with wxPython Classic 3.0.2 an error comes up stating,
>
> "Could not initialise AV output"

Is that EXACTLY what it said?  Because that message does not appear in
the wxWidgets source code.  The Unix wxMediaCtrl source has two
instances of "Could not initialize GStreamer", but nothing about "AV
output", and indeed no British spellings of "initialise".

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

tsmorton
Sorry, the error message said "XV output" instead of "AV Output." I misstyped. Attached is a screenshot.

Also, this issue was brought up on the wxWidgets forum last year here,
https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=43791

MediaCtrl used to work well on Linux with earlier version of wxPython, but this one doesn't. Seems like it may be a missing driver or plugin, but I can't tell.

By the way Phoenix is not an option right now. I must use Classic until our app can be upgraded for Phoenix.

Thanks,
Tim Morton

--
Tim Roberts, <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="_EAQtwwBBwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">ti...@...

audio error.png (26K) Download Attachment

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Scott Talbert
Did you build wxPython Classic yourself, or are you using the Linux Mint
distribution packages?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, tsmorton wrote:

> Sorry, the error message said "XV output" instead of "AV Output." I
> misstyped. Attached is a screenshot.
> Also, this issue was brought up on the wxWidgets forum last year here,
> https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=43791
>
> MediaCtrl used to work well on Linux with earlier version of wxPython,
> but this one doesn't. Seems like it may be a missing driver or plugin,
> but I can't tell.
>
> By the way Phoenix is not an option right now. I must use Classic until
> our app can be upgraded for Phoenix.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Morton
>

> On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 3:08:39 PM UTC-4, Tim Roberts wrote:
>       tsmorton wrote:
>       >
>       > When trying to play audio using wx.MediaCtrl in the Demo
>       or otherwise
>       > on Linux Mint 18.1 with wxPython Classic 3.0.2 an error
>       comes up stating,
>       >
>       > "Could not initialise AV output"
>
>       Is that EXACTLY what it said?  Because that message does not
>       appear in
>       the wxWidgets source code.  The Unix wxMediaCtrl source has
>       two
>       instances of "Could not initialize GStreamer", but nothing
>       about "AV
>       output", and indeed no British spellings of "initialise".
>
>       --
>       Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
>       Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

tsmorton
I'm using the Mint packages which are really the Ubuntu packages.

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 8:41:00 PM UTC-4, Scott Talbert wrote:
Did you build wxPython Classic yourself, or are you using the Linux Mint
distribution packages?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, tsmorton wrote:

> Sorry, the error message said "XV output" instead of "AV Output." I
> misstyped. Attached is a screenshot.
> Also, this issue was brought up on the wxWidgets forum last year here,
>
> MediaCtrl used to work well on Linux with earlier version of wxPython,
> but this one doesn't. Seems like it may be a missing driver or plugin,
> but I can't tell.
>
> By the way Phoenix is not an option right now. I must use Classic until
> our app can be upgraded for Phoenix.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Morton
>

> On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 3:08:39 PM UTC-4, Tim Roberts wrote:
>       tsmorton wrote:
>       >
>       > When trying to play audio using wx.MediaCtrl in the Demo
>       or otherwise
>       > on Linux Mint 18.1 with wxPython Classic 3.0.2 an error
>       comes up stating,
>       >
>       > "Could not initialise AV output"
>
>       Is that EXACTLY what it said?  Because that message does not
>       appear in
>       the wxWidgets source code.  The Unix wxMediaCtrl source has
>       two
>       instances of "Could not initialize GStreamer", but nothing
>       about "AV
>       output", and indeed no British spellings of "initialise".
>
>       --
>       Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
>       Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Scott Talbert
OK.  I can reproduce this on Debian Unstable as well, and in wxWidgets, so
it's not a wxPython issue per se.  I'll look into it.

> [...]

>       >       two
>       >       instances of "Could not initialize GStreamer", but
>       nothing
>       >       about "AV
>       >       output", and indeed no British spellings of
>       "initialise".
>       >
>       >       --
>       >       Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
>       >       Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       Google
>       > Groups "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>       it, send
>       > an email to [hidden email].
>       >
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

BTW, are you running in a virtual machine?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, Scott Talbert wrote:

> [...]
>>       >       instances of "Could not initialize GStreamer", but
>>       nothing
>>       >       about "AV
>>       >       output", and indeed no British spellings of
>>       "initialise".
>>       >
>>       >       --
>>       >       Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
>>       >       Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
>>       >
>>       > --
>>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>>       Google
>>       > Groups "wxPython-users" group.
>>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>>       it, send
>>       > an email to [hidden email].
>>       >
>>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Yes, I'm on a virtual machine, but another user has confirmed that the issue is still present (no audio) on straight installs of Ubuntu Mate 17.10 and Ubuntu Mate 18.04.

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 10:52:43 PM UTC-4, Scott Talbert wrote:
> [...]

>>       nothing
>>       >       about "AV
>>       >       output", and indeed no British spellings of
>>       "initialise".
>>       >
>>       >       --
>>       >       Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
>>       >       Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
>>       >
>>       > --
>>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>>       Google
>>       > Groups "wxPython-users" group.
>>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>>       it, send
>>       > an email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>>       >
>>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

OK, I do definitely see the problem on a VM but not on a bare-metal Ubuntu
16.04.  What happens when your users on bare metal run 'xvinfo'?

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018, tsmorton wrote:

> [...]
>       >>
>       >> --
>       >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       Google Groups
>       >> "wxPython-users" group.
>       >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>       it, send an
>       >> email to [hidden email].
>       >>
>       >>
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       Google Groups
>       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>       it, send an
>       > email to [hidden email].
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

I have asked him what he gets from xvinfo but he has not replied yet. Here is what I get on a VM,

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
no adaptors present

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 9:10:22 AM UTC-4, Scott Talbert wrote:
> [...]

>       >>
>       >> --
>       >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       Google Groups
>       >> "wxPython-users" group.
>       >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>       it, send an
>       >> email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >>
>       >>
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       Google Groups
>       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>       it, send an
>       > email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Yes, that is what I expected to see on a VM.

> [...]

>       to the
>       >       Google Groups
>       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
>       emails from
>       >       it, send an
>       >       > email to [hidden email].
>       >       > For more options, visit
>       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       Google Groups
>       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>       it, send an
>       > email to [hidden email].
>       >
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Ok, the other guy got back with me and here is his output on a bare metal install of Ubuntu Mate 17.10,

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
   Adaptor #0: "GLAMOR Textured Video"
     number of ports: 16
     port base: 63
     operations supported: PutImage
     supported visuals:
       depth 24, visualID 0x21
     number of attributes: 5
       "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_CONTRAST" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_SATURATION" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_HUE" (range -1000 to 1000)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
       "XV_COLORSPACE" (range 0 to 1)
               client settable attribute
               client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
     maximum XvImage size: 8192 x 8192
     Number of image formats: 2
       id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
         guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
         bits per pixel: 12
         number of planes: 3
         type: YUV (planar)
       id: 0x30323449 (I420)
         guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
         bits per pixel: 12
         number of planes: 3
         type: YUV (planar)

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 12:38:37 PM UTC-4, Scott Talbert wrote:
> [...]

>       to the
>       >       Google Groups
>       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
>       emails from
>       >       it, send an
>       >       > email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >       > For more options, visit
>       >       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       Google Groups
>       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>       it, send an
>       > email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Here is the xvinfo from Linux Mint 18.3 Mate (live USB) with no audio,

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 3:12:47 PM UTC-4, tsmorton wrote:
> [...]

>       to the
>       >       Google Groups
>       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
>       emails from
>       >       it, send an
>       >       > email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >       > For more options, visit
>       >       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       Google Groups
>       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>       it, send an
>       > email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Are you sure that the two bare-metal machines are seeing the exact same
error?

> [...]

>       >       >       >>       > Groups "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       >       >>       > To unsubscribe from this group
>       and stop
>       >       receiving
>       >       >       emails from
>       >       >       >>       it, send
>       >       >       >>       > an email to
>       >       [hidden email].
>       >       >       >>       > For more options, visit
>       >       >       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >       >>       >
>       >       >       >>       >
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >> --
>       >       >       >> You received this message because you
>       are subscribed
>       >       to the
>       >       >       Google Groups
>       >       >       >> "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       >       >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving
>       >       emails from
>       >       >       it, send an
>       >       >       >> email to
>       [hidden email].
>       >       >       >> For more options, visit
>       >       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >
>       >       >       > --
>       >       >       > You received this message because you
>       are subscribed
>       >       to the
>       >       >       Google Groups
>       >       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving
>       >       emails from
>       >       >       it, send an
>       >       >       > email to
>       [hidden email].
>       >       >       > For more options, visit
>       >       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >       >
>       >       >
>       >       > --
>       >       > You received this message because you are
>       subscribed to the
>       >       Google Groups
>       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving emails from
>       >       it, send an
>       >       > email to [hidden email].
>       >       > For more options, visit
>       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >
>       >       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to
>       the Google Groups
>       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
>       from it, send an
>       > email to [hidden email].
>       > For more options, visit
>       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

I submitted a fix to upstream wxWidgets:
https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/783

> [...]

>       >       >       >>       > Groups "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       >       >>       > To unsubscribe from this group
>       and stop
>       >       receiving
>       >       >       emails from
>       >       >       >>       it, send
>       >       >       >>       > an email to
>       >       [hidden email].
>       >       >       >>       > For more options, visit
>       >       >       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >       >>       >
>       >       >       >>       >
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >> --
>       >       >       >> You received this message because you
>       are subscribed
>       >       to the
>       >       >       Google Groups
>       >       >       >> "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       >       >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving
>       >       emails from
>       >       >       it, send an
>       >       >       >> email to
>       [hidden email].
>       >       >       >> For more options, visit
>       >       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >
>       >       >       > --
>       >       >       > You received this message because you
>       are subscribed
>       >       to the
>       >       >       Google Groups
>       >       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving
>       >       emails from
>       >       >       it, send an
>       >       >       > email to
>       [hidden email].
>       >       >       > For more options, visit
>       >       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >       >
>       >       >
>       >       > --
>       >       > You received this message because you are
>       subscribed to the
>       >       Google Groups
>       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving emails from
>       >       it, send an
>       >       > email to [hidden email].
>       >       > For more options, visit
>       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >
>       >       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to
>       the Google Groups
>       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
>       from it, send an
>       > email to [hidden email].
>       > For more options, visit
>       https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

Scott,

Thanks very much for your help.

I got a chance to install Linux Mint bare-metal and saw that the error was not the same. The error there was a plugin was not loaded. (It seems the repositories have discontinued the gstreamer0.10 plugins expecting apps to use the 1.0 version instead. Fortunately, the gstreamer1.0 plugins will work. From what I gather, wx still uses 0.10, so the plugins must still be compatible).

Anyway, this is the first instance I have had where a VM failed.

Thanks again,
Tim

On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 10:45:50 PM UTC-4, Scott Talbert wrote:
> [...]

>       >       >       >>       >
>       >       >       >>       >
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >> --
>       >       >       >> You received this message because you
>       are subscribed
>       >       to the
>       >       >       Google Groups
>       >       >       >> "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       >       >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving
>       >       emails from
>       >       >       it, send an
>       >       >       >> email to
>       wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >       >       >> For more options, visit
>       >       <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >>
>       >       >       >
>       >       >       > --
>       >       >       > You received this message because you
>       are subscribed
>       >       to the
>       >       >       Google Groups
>       >       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving
>       >       emails from
>       >       >       it, send an
>       >       >       > email to
>       wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >       >       > For more options, visit
>       >       <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>       >       >       >
>       >       >
>       >       > --
>       >       > You received this message because you are
>       subscribed to the
>       >       Google Groups
>       >       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       >       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>       receiving emails from
>       >       it, send an
>       >       > email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       >       > For more options, visit
>       >       >
>       >       >
>       >
>       > --
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to
>       the Google Groups
>       > "wxPython-users" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
>       from it, send an
>       > email to wxpython-user...@googlegroups.com.
>       > For more options, visit
>       >
>       >

Re: No Audio using MediaCtrl in Demo on Linux Mint 18

It depends on which version of Linux Mint you're using (really which
Ubuntu version it's based on) whether gstreamer 1.0 is supported in wx.
But yes, the version you're using must be supporting gstreamer 1.0.