Newbie question 4.0.2 installation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Newbie question 4.0.2 installation

Ken Barron
Hi there I'm new to Linux and wxPython and am having some trouble with understanding the installation.  I need to have wxPython installed in order to use Symoro+, a piece of software for modelling robotics.

I used the command 'sudo python setup.py develop' from the wxPython-4.0.2 directory and now when I use the 'pip freeze' command I see wxPython listed in the list of packages displayed.


















Does this mean that wxPython is correctly installed?  I'm asking because when I attempt to run Symoro+ I'm getting error messages related to wxPython.  The picture below shows the output errors for before and after I run the command 'sudo python setup.py develop'


















I'd really appreciate if someone with some experience could explain what's going on a little.

Thanks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie question 4.0.2 installation

john fabiani`

from the command line try to import wx - if works then most likely you have it install correctly.  BTW you cut off the last part of the error message and I can't tell if there is something wrong with import wx __init__.

It's also my understanding the you can install using pip even for Linux (which this appears to be).

Johnf


On 06/20/2018 09:20 AM, Ken Barron wrote:
Hi there I'm new to Linux and wxPython and am having some trouble with understanding the installation.  I need to have wxPython installed in order to use Symoro+, a piece of software for modelling robotics.

I used the command 'sudo python setup.py develop' from the wxPython-4.0.2 directory and now when I use the 'pip freeze' command I see wxPython listed in the list of packages displayed.


















Does this mean that wxPython is correctly installed?  I'm asking because when I attempt to run Symoro+ I'm getting error messages related to wxPython.  The picture below shows the output errors for before and after I run the command 'sudo python setup.py develop'


















I'd really appreciate if someone with some experience could explain what's going on a little.

Thanks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie question 4.0.2 installation

Robin Dunn

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 10:50:24 AM UTC-7, johnf wrote:

It's also my understanding the you can install using pip even for Linux (which this appears to be).




Yep. See https://wxpython.org/pages/downloads/ and https://wxpython.org/blog/2017-08-17-builds-for-linux-with-pip/index.html

--
Robin
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie question 4.0.2 installation

Ken Barron
John the error message that was cut off is identical to the one above it that was shown in full. The first error message is the one that was before I used 'sudo python setup.py develop' in the wxpython directory.  What do you mean by importing wx?  can you give an example of the syntax for this command?




On Wed, Jun 20, 2018, 8:31 PM Robin Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 10:50:24 AM UTC-7, johnf wrote:

It's also my understanding the you can install using pip even for Linux (which this appears to be).





--
Robin
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie question 4.0.2 installation

Barrowman
On my Linux Mint 18.2 system I have python 2.7.12 as the default
I also have python 3.5.2 and python 3.6 installed. Because of this and
because I use wx Phoenix I need to run python 3.x so normally 3.5.2. To run
this and the import I would do:

python3
Python 3.5.2 (default, Nov 23 2017, 16:37:01)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import wx
>>> quit()
Gets me back to the command prompt.
If you  have just python 3.x on your system you can probably start the above
by simply typing "python" rather than "python3".
If you get no errors from the above wx is installed correctly




--
Sent from: http://wxpython-users.1045709.n5.nabble.com/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie question 4.0.2 installation

john fabiani`
In reply to this post by Ken Barron

I see that you may have solved the problem you are having - but to answer your question directly you do the following:

From the command line:

$ python

> import wx

If above works then most likely wxPython is working.

Also the newest version of wxPython can be install using "pip".

If you are a newbie to python then use YouTube to watch one of the many tutorial available and that should help you understand my comments.


Johnf



On 06/21/2018 01:42 AM, Ken Barron wrote:
John the error message that was cut off is identical to the one above it that was shown in full. The first error message is the one that was before I used 'sudo python setup.py develop' in the wxpython directory.  What do you mean by importing wx?  can you give an example of the syntax for this command?




On Wed, Jun 20, 2018, 8:31 PM Robin Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 10:50:24 AM UTC-7, johnf wrote:

It's also my understanding the you can install using pip even for Linux (which this appears to be).





--
Robin
 
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Newbie question 4.0.2 installation

Ken Barron
Thanks guys, I didn't get any errors from using the import command so I assume that my installation is correct.  Which leads me to the conclusion that the problem is the compatibility of Symoro+ with v4+ of wxPython.  I've downloaded an older version 2.8.12.1 but I'm finding the installation instructions a lot less easy to understand compared with the new version.  I've made a topic about it "2.8.12 installation" if you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

On 21 June 2018 at 16:54, john fabiani` <[hidden email]> wrote:

I see that you may have solved the problem you are having - but to answer your question directly you do the following:

From the command line:

$ python

> import wx

If above works then most likely wxPython is working.

Also the newest version of wxPython can be install using "pip".

If you are a newbie to python then use YouTube to watch one of the many tutorial available and that should help you understand my comments.


Johnf



On 06/21/2018 01:42 AM, Ken Barron wrote:
John the error message that was cut off is identical to the one above it that was shown in full. The first error message is the one that was before I used 'sudo python setup.py develop' in the wxpython directory.  What do you mean by importing wx?  can you give an example of the syntax for this command?




On Wed, Jun 20, 2018, 8:31 PM Robin Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 10:50:24 AM UTC-7, johnf wrote:

It's also my understanding the you can install using pip even for Linux (which this appears to be).





--
Robin
 
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.