New "Discuss wxPython" site

Robin Dunn
Hi all,

I've recently had need to read and post to some forums implemented using
Discourse, (see https://www.discourse.org/,) including Python's at
https://discuss.python.org/. I've been very impressed with it, so I
decided to try it out. You can see the result at:
https://discuss.wxpython.org/

Some of the things I like are:

* Posts can use Markdown for rich formatting.
* Real time updates to the topic being viewed as new posts are made.
* A bit of GitHub integration
* Multiple categories on one site vs. 2 separate and distinct groups
* Easy searching across categories, or within one category, or within
one topic
* It has a maillist mode, although I haven't tried that yet.
* Easy LnF and feature customization per site or per user
* trust levels, groups and security
* notifications
* good UI and interaction on mobile

As you can see if you visit the site, I've imported the posts from
wxPython-users and wxPython-dev (as of a few days ago.) The reformatting
of the messages sometimes wasn't great, but as far as I can tell the
content and attachments all made it in okay. There was almost 109,000
messages imported, going back 20 years!

As part of the import user accounts were created for all sender email
addresses, but in a "staged" state. This means that if you go through
the normal sign-up on the site with the email you used to post to
wxPython-users or wxPython-dev, then it will automatically associate
your account with your existing messages. If you don't like the
automatically assigned username then you can change that in your
preferences.

I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll switch exclusively to the forum for group
communications, I'd like to get some feedback first. But I like it so far.

Oh, yeah... It's written in Ruby, but we won't hold that against them. ;-)

--
Robin

Re: New "Discuss wxPython" site

Karsten Hilbert
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 08:03:45PM -0700, Robin Dunn wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll switch exclusively to the forum for group
> communications,

A forum is "pull" while a mailing list is "push".

That's the one main drawback of forums.

Karsten
--
GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 3:31:53 PM UTC-7, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 08:03:45PM -0700, Robin Dunn wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll switch exclusively to the forum for group
> communications,

A forum is "pull" while a mailing list is "push".

That's the one main drawback of forums.

Yep, and I used to be firmly in that camp as well. But for the past couple years I found that having and RSS feed to check on for new messages was more convenient since I was already using RSS for other things and I spend more time in my browser than in my email client now. And then when I saw that Discourse has an option for "mailing list mode" I felt like it might be worth the change since it can be used in whichever way the user likes best. You can file the mailing list mode option in your account preferences on the discuss site.

--
Robin

Karsten

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 5:04:57 PM UTC-7, Robin Dunn wrote:
 You can file the mailing list mode option in your account preferences on the discuss site.

Or, rather, "find"...  Another reason to prefer the ability to edit posts *after* clicking the button.

--
Robin

Re: New "Discuss wxPython" site

Marc Tompkins
On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 5:05 PM Robin Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 3:31:53 PM UTC-7, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 08:03:45PM -0700, Robin Dunn wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure yet if we'll switch exclusively to the forum for group
> communications,

A forum is "pull" while a mailing list is "push".

That's the one main drawback of forums.

Yep, and I used to be firmly in that camp as well. But for the past couple years I found that having and RSS feed to check on for new messages was more convenient since I was already using RSS for other things and I spend more time in my browser than in my email client now. And then when I saw that Discourse has an option for "mailing list mode" I felt like it might be worth the change since it can be used in whichever way the user likes best. You can file the mailing list mode option in your account preferences on the discuss site.

 I just logged in and checked it out - looks good!  I, also, live mostly in my RSS reader; adding the new site to my feed now.
Thanks!