My own wxPython Cookbook

Mike Driscoll
Hi,

This group made Python especially awesome to me when I was first starting out learning the Python language. It's always been super supportive and nice to just about everyone who comes here. Over the years, various people that I've met here or through my blog have asked me to take my wxPython articles and turn them into a book. I had originally wanted to do that project for my first book, but decided I needed some groundwork before I did that so if people buying the wxPython book didn't know Python, I could point them to my other resource.

Long story short, I'm finally ready to put out my book that's based on some of my blog articles. This is basically my own home grown group of recipes so the first wxPython book will be a Cookbook. I realize that the wxPython community already has one of those so you might not be all that excited about another one. But if you are, you can check out my project here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34257246/wxpython-cookbook

I never realized just how many wxPython articles I've written these past 8 years. But because I have so many, I am actually planning on doing one or two other wxPython books as well. I don't have a release schedule for those books as I have a non-wxPython book to do first, but I'm hoping to get onto the 2nd wxPython book some time next year.

Thanks for being such a great community. I'm so happy to have the opportunity to give a little back.
- Mike

Re: My own wxPython Cookbook

Mike Driscoll
Answered off-list

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Emad Dlala <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="V61gYXS4EQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">emad....@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Mike Driscoll <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="V61gYXS4EQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">kyos...@...> wrote:
Hi,

This group made Python especially awesome to me when I was first starting out learning the Python language. It's always been super supportive and nice to just about everyone who comes here. Over the years, various people that I've met here or through my blog have asked me to take my wxPython articles and turn them into a book. I had originally wanted to do that project for my first book, but decided I needed some groundwork before I did that so if people buying the wxPython book didn't know Python, I could point them to my other resource.

Long story short, I'm finally ready to put out my book that's based on some of my blog articles. This is basically my own home grown group of recipes so the first wxPython book will be a Cookbook. I realize that the wxPython community already has one of those so you might not be all that excited about another one. But if you are, you can check out my project here: <a href="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34257246/wxpython-cookbook" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F34257246%2Fwxpython-cookbook\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEmra85yfFLhZ3S2A3DEh0hqsJcLA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F34257246%2Fwxpython-cookbook\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEmra85yfFLhZ3S2A3DEh0hqsJcLA&#39;;return true;">https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34257246/wxpython-cookbook

I never realized just how many wxPython articles I've written these past 8 years. But because I have so many, I am actually planning on doing one or two other wxPython books as well. I don't have a release schedule for those books as I have a non-wxPython book to do first, but I'm hoping to get onto the 2nd wxPython book some time next year.

Thanks for being such a great community. I'm so happy to have the opportunity to give a little back.
- Mike

Re: My own wxPython Cookbook

Metallicow-2

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 8:46:21 AM UTC-5, Mike Driscoll wrote:
[...]

Woot! Another book!
Thanks for all the work put into it.
Nifty cover art BTW. Was it(cover art) commissioned this time also?

Re: My own wxPython Cookbook

Mike Driscoll

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 12:29:20 AM UTC-5, Metallicow wrote:

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 8:46:21 AM UTC-5, Mike Driscoll wrote:
Hi,

This group made Python especially awesome to me when I was first starting out learning the Python language. It's always been super supportive and nice to just about everyone who comes here. Over the years, various people that I've met here or through my blog have asked me to take my wxPython articles and turn them into a book. I had originally wanted to do that project for my first book, but decided I needed some groundwork before I did that so if people buying the wxPython book didn't know Python, I could point them to my other resource.

Long story short, I'm finally ready to put out my book that's based on some of my blog articles. This is basically my own home grown group of recipes so the first wxPython book will be a Cookbook. I realize that the wxPython community already has one of those so you might not be all that excited about another one. But if you are, you can check out my project here: <a href="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34257246/wxpython-cookbook" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F34257246%2Fwxpython-cookbook\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEmra85yfFLhZ3S2A3DEh0hqsJcLA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F34257246%2Fwxpython-cookbook\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEmra85yfFLhZ3S2A3DEh0hqsJcLA&#39;;return true;">https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34257246/wxpython-cookbook

I never realized just how many wxPython articles I've written these past 8 years. But because I have so many, I am actually planning on doing one or two other wxPython books as well. I don't have a release schedule for those books as I have a non-wxPython book to do first, but I'm hoping to get onto the 2nd wxPython book some time next year.

Thanks for being such a great community. I'm so happy to have the opportunity to give a little back.
- Mike

Woot! Another book!
Thanks for all the work put into it.
Nifty cover art BTW. Was it(cover art) commissioned this time also?

Yes. All the covers of my books are designed by me but drawn by an artist.

- Mike

Re: My own wxPython Cookbook

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
Mike,

Sounds like another great project.

You might want to take a look at my collection of little demos -- these are all little examples of things one might want to do with wx -- some I needed, and some were written in response to questions on this list.

They are pretty old and krufty and not all still work, but some good stuff in there:

https://github.com/PythonCHB/wxPythonDemos

Feel free to use any of it -- all public domain.

-Chris

[...]

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: My own wxPython Cookbook

Mike Driscoll-2
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look. I have an idea for a wxPython book that's all about creating small applications so this could be useful for that in addition to the ideas I already have.

Mike

-----------------
Mike Driscoll

Blog:   http://blog.pythonlibrary.org
Books: Python 101, Python 201: Intermediate Python

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 1:20 AM, Chris Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

NOAA/NOS/OR&R            <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6959" value="+12065266959" target="_blank">(206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6329" value="+12065266329" target="_blank">(206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6317" value="+12065266317" target="_blank">(206) 526-6317   main reception

Re: My own wxPython Cookbook

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look. I have an idea for a wxPython book that's all about creating small applications so this could be useful for that in addition to the ideas I already have.

Could be -- and if you do happen to clean any of them up -- PR's very welcome!

-Chris

Mike

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 6:02:07 PM UTC-5, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look. I have an idea for a wxPython book that's all about creating small applications so this could be useful for that in addition to the ideas I already have.

Could be -- and if you do happen to clean any of them up -- PR's very welcome!

-Chris

Sure thing. I would be happy to put in some PR's if I make changes.

Mike