Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Keith Hughitt
Do you think the book is still a good way to learn wxPython?

The book is over five years old now and it has often been my experience with programming books that major shifts in programming paradigms for a language or framework can occur in just a couple years, and new "best practices" and coding styles often exist.

If the book is still a reasonable up to date, are there any major ideas, sections, or practices in the book that are no longer used?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Keith

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

azrael
Well in general it is a pretty good book. But it is getting old. but in order to understand wxpython, the rules still apply. It would be ofcourse cool if there where more books about wxpython.

If I'm not mistaken, recently a new one appeared. wxPython.2.8.Application.Development.Cookbook

On 7/26/11 6:22 AM, Keith Hughitt wrote:
> Do you think the book is still a good way to learn wxPython?
>
> The book is over five years old now and it has often been my experience
> with programming books that major shifts in programming paradigms for a
> language or framework can occur in just a couple years, and new "best
> practices" and coding styles often exist.
>
> If the book is still a reasonable up to date, are there any major ideas,
> sections, or practices in the book that are no longer used?

I'd say that almost everything in the book is still relevant, although
some details have changed here and there, and it should still be a good
way to learn wxPython.  Once a basic skill set is in place then it
shouldn't be too hard to modernize it where needed by following this
list, referring to the demo and samples, browsing the wiki, etc.  It
would also be good to have Cody's book handy to be able to refer to the
recipes he provides as the need arises.

http://wxPython.org

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Joel Koltner
Yes, I'd say it's still quite relevant: While it is over five years
old, you need to keep in mind that wxPython is now about 15 years old,
so it's a mature project that doesn't quite at all dramatically
anymore.  I.e., the book won't cover some of the newest features in
wxPython, but it covers what you still really need to know anyway, and
what more than 90% of all wxPython users ever user in the first place.

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

pyGrant
Here is a link to the cookbook: http://www.packtpub.com/wxpython-2-8-application-development-cookbook/book

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Gour
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:41:15 -0700 (PDT)
Joel Koltner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I'd say it's still quite relevant: While it is over five years
> old, you need to keep in mind that wxPython is now about 15 years old,
> so it's a mature project that doesn't quite at all dramatically
> anymore.  I.e., the book won't cover some of the newest features in
> wxPython, but it covers what you still really need to know anyway, and
> what more than 90% of all wxPython users ever user in the first place.

Excuse me for jumping in this thread lately, but I have the same
question and hope that the advice apply in 2012 as well. :-)

I'm wxPython & GUI noob and some of the Amazon reviewers complain that
the book teaches about the principles, but this is just what I like.

Otoh, although not familiar with the other/newer wxPython book, in
general, I'm not big fan of Packt's 'cookbook' style considering
they're too shallow.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you
are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Andrea Gavana
Hi,

On 8 July 2012 08:49, Gour wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:41:15 -0700 (PDT)
> Joel Koltner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I'd say it's still quite relevant: While it is over five years
>> old, you need to keep in mind that wxPython is now about 15 years old,
>> so it's a mature project that doesn't quite at all dramatically
>> anymore.  I.e., the book won't cover some of the newest features in
>> wxPython, but it covers what you still really need to know anyway, and
>> what more than 90% of all wxPython users ever user in the first place.
>
> Excuse me for jumping in this thread lately, but I have the same
> question and hope that the advice apply in 2012 as well. :-)

I would say it still applies. I don't look up stuff in it that much
anymore, but when I do I find that most of the time the information I
need is still applicable to wxPython 2.9; in the few exceptions, the
modifications I need to make are straightforward and can be retrieved
by looking at the wxWidgets/wxPython API docs.

> I'm wxPython & GUI noob and some of the Amazon reviewers complain that
> the book teaches about the principles, but this is just what I like.

I am with you in this :-) .

Although sometimes I wonder if a true reference book may or may not be
useful (i.e., something with a screenshot per widget, with its methods
and functionalities categorized, like a small encyclopaedia). However,
this is becoming less and less relevant as the Phoenix docs are
becoming something like that anyway.

--
Andrea.

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/

# ------------------------------------------------------------- #
def ask_mailing_list_support(email):

    if mention_platform_and_version() and include_sample_app():
        send_message(email)
    else:
        install_malware()
        erase_hard_drives()
# ------------------------------------------------------------- #

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Gour
On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 12:24:47 +0200
Andrea Gavana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would say it still applies. I don't look up stuff in it that much
> anymore, but when I do I find that most of the time the information I
> need is still applicable to wxPython 2.9;

Thank you for that.

> I am with you in this :-) .

;)

> Although sometimes I wonder if a true reference book may or may not be
> useful (i.e., something with a screenshot per widget, with its methods
> and functionalities categorized, like a small encyclopaedia). However,
> this is becoming less and less relevant as the Phoenix docs are
> becoming something like that anyway.

I'm happy to (finally) dive into GUI development using wxpython...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Mike Driscoll

On Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:49:44 AM UTC-5, Gour wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:41:15 -0700 (PDT)
Joel Koltner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I'd say it's still quite relevant: While it is over five years
> old, you need to keep in mind that wxPython is now about 15 years old,
> so it's a mature project that doesn't quite at all dramatically
> anymore.  I.e., the book won't cover some of the newest features in
> wxPython, but it covers what you still really need to know anyway, and
> what more than 90% of all wxPython users ever user in the first place.

Excuse me for jumping in this thread lately, but I have the same
question and hope that the advice apply in 2012 as well. :-)

I'm wxPython & GUI noob and some of the Amazon reviewers complain that
the book teaches about the principles, but this is just what I like.

Otoh, although not familiar with the other/newer wxPython book, in
general, I'm not big fan of Packt's 'cookbook' style considering
they're too shallow.

Sincerely,
Gour

I agree that most of Packt's Cookbooks are rather lousy. However, Cody Precord is one of our regulars here on the wxPython users and dev lists and I found his book to be pretty good. It has lots of interesting tips and tricks. He knows his subject quite well. You might find my blog helpful too as I write a fair bit on wxPython (http://www.blog.pythonlibrary.org/) although lately I've been putting out a lot of beginner articles.

- Mike

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

sebastian lópez
Hi

You also may learn wxPython by using the software wxFormBuilder< I think it's easier to use than wxglade>
at the same time you can build your own frames, panels and dialogs. also I recomend you to watch the "wx python docs and demos tool"

And off course don't forget to contribute with wxPython!

--
Sebastián López
Ingeniero Químico

On Monday, July 9, 2012 10:37:36 AM UTC-5, Sebastian Lopez B wrote:
Hi

You also may learn wxPython by using the software wxFormBuilder< I think it's easier to use than wxglade>
at the same time you can build your own frames, panels and dialogs. also I recomend you to watch the "wx python docs and demos tool"

And off course don't forget to contribute with wxPython!

--
Sebastián López
Ingeniero Químico

I totally agree about the docs and demo package. It'll help you learn how to use just about every widget in the library. The wxPython wiki is helpful too, but it's getting a little out-of-date.

- Mike

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Gour
On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
Mike Driscoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree that most of Packt's Cookbooks are rather lousy. However,
> Cody Precord is one of our regulars here on the wxPython users and
> dev lists and I found his book to be pretty good. It has lots of
> interesting tips and tricks. He knows his subject quite well.

Thank yo ufor the hint...I'll investigate book's TOC in more detail,
but, 'in Action' book seems to have proper coverage for our needs.

> You might find my blog helpful too as I write a fair bit on wxPython
> (http://www.blog.pythonlibrary.org/) although lately I've been
> putting out a lot of beginner articles.

Thank you very much...I'm Python beginner as well. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment,
though the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

Gour
On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 10:37:36 -0500
sebastián <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You also may learn wxPython by using the software
> wxFormBuilder<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/wxformbuilder/index.php?title=HomePage><

The homepage link is broken in a recent time. :-(

Does it generate Python code?

> I think it's easier to use than wxglade

I have a feeling that wxglade is not very actively developed and I have
tried Julian's DialogBlocks, but have a feeling that it's more suitable
for C++ if we assume that it's better to generate code than using XRC.

Still, I have a question what is the opinion of wxDesigner or
wXFormBuilder is also good-enough?

> And off course don't forget to
> contribute<http://wxpython.org/contribute.php>with wxPython!

Don't worry...nature of wx(python) is one of the reasons why we've
chosen it over Qt. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The senses, the mind and the intelligence are the sitting places
of this lust. Through them lust covers the real knowledge of the

Re: Is the "wxPython in Action" book still a good way to learn?

sebastian lópez
Hi

The main page is broken but still you can download from it's sourceforge site,
In the other hand you could see the following comparison  about differents wxWidgets RAD solutions to have a better idea.

--
Sebastián López
Ingeniero Químico