Is possible ... borderless 4x6 prints?

David Rose
Hello all!
I wanted to ask a question ... is it possible from a wxPython app running on a Linux system for a 4x6 photograph to print out borderlessly?   And, would this need to be handled in the wxPython app (in the print dialog area), or via CUPS, or in the printer driver ...?

Thanks!
-dave

Re: Is possible ... borderless 4x6 prints?

Tim Roberts
On Aug 30, 2017, at 12:05 PM, David Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to ask a question ... is it possible from a wxPython app running on a Linux system for a 4x6 photograph to print out borderlessly?   And, would this need to be handled in the wxPython app (in the print dialog area), or via CUPS, or in the printer driver ...?

That's not an easy question to answer.  Printing onto the default printer with the default margins is not too hard, but I think you're talking about printing onto a photographic printer that can handle 4x6 glossy stock.  That means you need a specific printer, and you have to specify the specific paper type and size, and you need to override the margins, and you need to send a bitmap to it.  All of those things add complications.

You can certainly use wx.PrintDialog to let the user choose the right printer, and then save that information so you can pick it automatically later.  You can fetch a wx.PrinterDC or wx.PostScriptDC and blit your bitmap out to it.  Adjusting the margins might take some experimentation.

Have you played with it at all yet?