Getting wxPython 4.0.0b2 on Travis

Ryan Holmes
I'm trying to migrate my Travis config to use the new wxPython 2.0.0b2 (I'm aware this isn't latest, but it's required for my project) so as to get tox and pep8 checks working. I'm not sure how to install this version for wxPython with Travis. Any pointers?

Re: Getting wxPython 4.0.0b2 on Travis

GadgetSteve

On 16/05/2018 04:48, Ryan Holmes wrote:

> I'm trying to migrate my Travis config to use the new wxPython 2.0.0b2
> (I'm aware this isn't latest, but it's required for my project) so as to
> get tox and pep8 checks working. I'm not sure how to install this
> version for wxPython with Travis. Any pointers?

I am not a Travis expert but based on general experience you are going
to have to:

  - get, locate, or build the installer for the specific wxPython
version for the specific environment(s) that your Travis file specifies,
  - place it/them in a location that the server(s) executing your Travis
tests can access
  - Specify running the installer specific to each test environment as a
pre-requisite step of setting up the environment(s).

Do not expect it to be easy - you are looking at installing software
from the last millennium, (I can't find 2.0.0b2 in the release history
but 2.0b5 is dated 25-Feb-1999), that was building and running in the
environments of the time. I would strongly encourage you to update your
project dependencies to the wxPython 4 series (Phoenix) - still a lot of
work but a lot more support - where you can make the Travis pre-run step
simply pip install wxPython (possibly with a version specifier).
--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Getting wxPython 4.0.0b2 on Travis

Robin Dunn
On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 9:35:14 PM UTC-7, Gadget Steve wrote:

On 16/05/2018 04:48, Ryan Holmes wrote:
> I'm trying to migrate my Travis config to use the new wxPython 2.0.0b2
> (I'm aware this isn't latest, but it's required for my project) so as to
> get tox and pep8 checks working. I'm not sure how to install this
> version for wxPython with Travis. Any pointers?

You can add a step in your .travis.yml file that uses pip to fetch and install wxPython from our the "extras" server. Unless things have changed recently then TravisCI is using Ubuntu 14.04 on their build nodes, and that distro is one of the Linux flavors that wxPython wheels are built upon and so you can get wxPython binaries without needing to build it yourself. Something like this should do it for you:

pip install -U \
    -f https://extras.wxpython.org/wxPython4/extras/linux/gtk2/ubuntu-14.04 \
    wxPython==4.0.0b2

Do not expect it to be easy - you are looking at installing software
from the last millennium, (I can't find 2.0.0b2 in the release history
but 2.0b5 is dated 25-Feb-1999), that was building and running in the
environments of the time.

I think he meant to write 4.0.0b2.

--
Robin

Re: Getting wxPython 4.0.0b2 on Travis

Ryan Holmes
> I think he meant to write 4.0.0b2.

Indeed. the software that I maintain just had it's 2.0.0 release, so I'm getting versions all sorts of confused. :P

Thanks, I will definitely try to use the wxPython builds...