Embedding vPython in wxPython GUI

Kevin Turbang
Hi,

I am currently programming the solar system for one of my classes. For the visualization I used vPython. To make the program easy to use, I made a GUI in wxPython. Both parts work well separately. I would like to somehow embed the vPython part in one of the wxPython panels. Is this possible? If not, is there another way to create a GUI in which this is possible?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Embedding vPython in wxPython GUI

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Kevin Turbang <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am currently programming the solar system for one of my classes. For the visualization I used vPython. To make the program easy to use, I made a GUI in wxPython. Both parts work well separately. I would like to somehow embed the vPython part in one of the wxPython panels. Is this possible? If not, is there another way to create a GUI in which this is possible?

VPython has gone through a lot of iterations over the years, but the current version seems to say:

"The 3D animations use WebGL in a browser, "

I expect that when you run it from a python script, that it is starting up a browser to display in.

If that's the case, then you can embed a browser in wxPython -- either the system browser or perhaps others (CEF was an option once upon a time)

Then you need to get VPython to talk that that browser window...

> If not, is there another way to create a GUI in which this is possible?

It looks like VPython supports running in Jupyter -- you may be able to do what you want with Jupyter and Jupyter Widgets.

-CHB

Thanks,
Kevin

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: Embedding vPython in wxPython GUI

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
Oh,

And this is really a question for the VPython folks -- they should know what the options are.

-CHB