ETS update, incomplete panel rendering in Windows but not Linux or OSX

ETS update, incomplete panel rendering in Windows but not Linux or OSX

braidedlogix
After much work, I'm just about ready to release some WIN/OSX test binaries for ETS. The only thing standing in the way at this point is an inconsistent problem under Windows where some panels don't completely render, and probably don't respond to resizing immediately. Some of the panels in tabbed aui notebooks eventually give a complete render, but then won't respond to resizing until some focus loss and complete redraw.

Summary of clues:
1. Only under standalone installs of Windows, but does not seem to be a problem in my main Win Virtualbox VM.
2. Happens when panes are on aui tabbed nb pages inside an aui window panel, or in the same aui nb layout but in separate popup window.
3. When the popup windows can be resized, doing a resize immediately results in a complete/correct render, and then continues to behave properly until the popup window is closed
4. By design or bugginess, the popup windows are not always resizeable even for what should be virtually identical circumstances, and these versions of the popups never render completely.
5. No error or warning messages
6. A previous WIndows-only problem with text controls was fixed by a simple event.Skip() command.

Possible issue:
1. buggy code inside try/except
2. not propagating event completely

My questions:
1. What events besides wx.EVT_SIZE might need to be examined?
2. If the event is prematurely ending, are there any other things besides event.Skip() that I should be thinking about?

I've looked at parts of the codes with size events and paint events, but event.Skip() doesn't seem to have any impact

I'm just fishing for some clues here, just in case someone else has seen this issue...

Many Thanks, Eric

Re: ETS update, incomplete panel rendering in Windows but not Linux or OSX

braidedlogix

After spending the week trying to track this down, the only thing I know for certain is that whatever the problem may be, it is sensitive to the depth of the panel placement in other panels. A panel that renders completely by itself may not render completely if it's part of a (say ets pyface.dock.docksizer) notebook page. Throughout the ETS codes there are numerous references to patches that needed to be made for specific wxPython versions that related to propagation of painting/refreshing throughout nested/embedded windows under Windows. I had no appreciation for how many layers are buried in a Pyface/TraitUI application until I ran the wxPython Widget Inspection Tool. I almost needed to maximize my Widget Tree Panel to see the entire tree structure of the Mayavi Engine Pipeline viewer frame (where I am seeing the problems noted in this thread).

I am happy to say that I can confirm that while the problem occurs in Windows 7, everything seems to be running great under OSX, Linux, and Windows 8. I haven't tested Win 10 yet - I may need assistance with that test. Since Win 7 support ends in two years, slightly earlier than the last official releases scheduled for Python 2.7, I'm not sure it's worth any more effort to find and fix. Still, if anyone has suggestions I'd be willing to give them a shot.