Debugging wxPython4.0.1 and Python3

Rich Shepard
   Testing the UI I run the base module and see the frame with the status bar
but no menues or the tabbed notebook. Invoking the application in
winpdb-1.4.8 has the source code window (on the right side) very small.
moving that window frame to the left changes the cursor to a double-head
arrow (<=>) and when I finish moving the frame to expose the source code the
debugger locks the application. I can move the cursor but cannot access the
panel, other windows, or anything else. So, I open a new console and kill
the winpdb process.

   This leads to my questions: 1) can I use winpdb with wxPython4 and
Python3? If not, 2) which debugger will work (perhaps rpdb2)?

Rich

Re: Debugging wxPython4.0.1 and Python3

Mario Lacunza-2
Use Eclipse +  PyDev it have a nice debugger

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: [hidden email]
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Skype: mlacunzav

Lima - Peru

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 9:17:12 AM UTC-7, Rich wrote:
   This leads to my questions: 1) can I use winpdb with wxPython4 and
Python3? If not, 2) which debugger will work (perhaps rpdb2)?

Winpdb is dead, but it looks like it is in the process of being reborn via another developer here: https://github.com/bluebird75/winpdb

I also suggest to take a look at the debuggers included with PyCharm and VisualStudio Code, they are both very capable and get the job done without much hassle.

--
Robin

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018, Robin Dunn wrote:

> Winpdb is dead, but it looks like it is in the process of being reborn via
> another developer here: https://github.com/bluebird75/winpdb

Robin,

   This will do the job. and I can run it within emacs.

> I also suggest to take a look at the debuggers included with PyCharm and
> VisualStudio Code, they are both very capable and get the job done without
> much hassle.

   My experiences with python-specific IDEs has been much less than
satisfactory, and I don't do Microsoft (haven't for > 20 years).

Thanks very much,

Rich

Re: Debugging wxPython4.0.1 and Python3 [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard
On Fri, 27 Apr 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  This will do the job. and I can run it within emacs.

   Yes! The new version does work. Thanks again, Robin.

Rich

Re: Debugging wxPython4.0.1 and Python3

Rich Shepard
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018, Robin Dunn wrote:

> Winpdb is dead, but it looks like it is in the process of being reborn via
> another developer here: https://github.com/bluebird75/winpdb

   My last message was incorrect. The revised work-in-progress loads and the
split window can be adjusted, but it segfaults as soon as the F6 key is
pressed.

   Looking at files in the downloaded directories I see that the developer is
limited to using Microsoft's OSes so I'm not surprised it does not work with
linux.

   Now I'm reading about the builtin pdb module and will use this to debug my
Python3 (and wxPython4) code.

Rich

Re: Debugging wxPython4.0.1 and Python3

Andrea Gavana

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 at 16.13, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018, Robin Dunn wrote:

> Winpdb is dead, but it looks like it is in the process of being reborn via
> another developer here: https://github.com/bluebird75/winpdb

Robin,

   This will do the job. and I can run it within emacs.

> I also suggest to take a look at the debuggers included with PyCharm and
> VisualStudio Code, they are both very capable and get the job done without
> much hassle.

   My experiences with python-specific IDEs has been much less than
satisfactory, and I don't do Microsoft (haven't for > 20 years).

Thanks very much,

PyCharm is a phenomenal IDE, and it can get you almost anywhere as long as you’re willing to put up with a RAM-hungry tool.

Andrea.

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018, Robin Dunn wrote:
>
>> I also suggest to take a look at the debuggers included with PyCharm and
>> VisualStudio Code, they are both very capable and get the job done
>> without
>> much hassle.
>
> My experiences with python-specific IDEs has been much less than
> satisfactory, and I don't do Microsoft (haven't for > 20 years).

Religion has no place in a programmer's toolbox.  Microsoft's open
source VSCode editor is one of the best development editors available
today.  It is fast, attractive, extraordinarily configurable, has great
plugin support, and runs identically on Windows, Linux, and MacOS.  You
do yourself a disservice by ignoring it.

Re: Debugging wxPython4.0.1 and Python3

Robin Dunn
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:00:42 AM UTC-7, Tim Roberts wrote:
Microsoft's open
source VSCode editor is one of the best development editors available
today.  It is fast, attractive, extraordinarily configurable, has great
plugin support, and runs identically on Windows, Linux, and MacOS.  You
do yourself a disservice by ignoring it.

Agreed. I was very pleasantly surprised when I gave it another try. It was nothing special when I tried it a few years ago, but it is a totally different tool now. I find myself liking it a little more each time I use it.

 --
Robin