Compatibility with macOS 10.12

David Woods
Hi all,

It appears that the current production (non-Phoenix) release of
wxPython, version 3.0.2.0, is not compatible with Apple's newest OS
release.  I see there was a patch to wxWidgets about 3 weeks ago that
purports to solve the problem.

Is there any change of updated binaries on the web page for this?  I'm
afraid building wxWidgets and wxPython on macOS is beyond my skill level.

If not, has the problem been addressed on Phoenix?  I have not been
successful getting my code running under Phoenix, although I haven't
tried in quite a while.  Is this my only hope?

David

Re: Compatibility with macOS 10.12

Scott Talbert
On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, David Woods wrote:

> It appears that the current production (non-Phoenix) release of wxPython,
> version 3.0.2.0, is not compatible with Apple's newest OS release.  I see
> there was a patch to wxWidgets about 3 weeks ago that purports to solve the
> problem.

What patch you are referring to?

> If not, has the problem been addressed on Phoenix?  I have not been
> successful getting my code running under Phoenix, although I haven't tried in
> quite a while.  Is this my only hope?

If the patch has been made to the 3.0 branch, then in all likelihood it
has been fixed in Phoenix.  Robin is regularly pulling in the latest code
from the 3.0 branch.  If it hasn't been picked up, it should be relatively
easy to do so.

Scott

On 10/03/2016 03:21 PM, Scott Talbert wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, David Woods wrote:
>
>> It appears that the current production (non-Phoenix) release of
>> wxPython, version 3.0.2.0, is not compatible with Apple's newest OS
>> release.  I see there was a patch to wxWidgets about 3 weeks ago that
>> purports to solve the problem.
>
> What patch you are referring to?

Sorry, I was not looking as closely as I should have.  It's a MacPorts
patch, not a general wxWidgets patch, I guess.  I found it at
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52069 that addresses being able to
include the QuickTime Player in wxWidgets (which is a requirement for my
software.)

>> If not, has the problem been addressed on Phoenix?  I have not been
>> successful getting my code running under Phoenix, although I haven't
>> tried in quite a while.  Is this my only hope?
>
> If the patch has been made to the 3.0 branch, then in all likelihood
> it has been fixed in Phoenix.  Robin is regularly pulling in the
> latest code from the 3.0 branch.  If it hasn't been picked up, it
> should be relatively easy to do so.

I hope this can be of some use, if the issue hasn't already been
addressed.  Can anyone confirm that the Phoenix build works under macOS
10.12, including the QuickTime player within wx.MediaCtrl?

David Woods wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It appears that the current production (non-Phoenix) release of
> wxPython, version 3.0.2.0, is not compatible with Apple's newest OS
> release.  I see there was a patch to wxWidgets about 3 weeks ago that
> purports to solve the problem.
>
> Is there any change of updated binaries on the web page for this?  I'm
> afraid building wxWidgets and wxPython on macOS is beyond my skill level.

Have you tried this installer I made a couple weeks ago to test the new
installer format?

https://wxpython.org/snapshots/wxPython3.0-osx-3.0.3.0.b20160914-cocoa-py2.7.dmg

It will still have the issue of using the QTkit in the build, so I
suppose it will probably depend on if macOS still allows it to be used
at runtime, and is just not allowing it to be used at compile time.

> If not, has the problem been addressed on Phoenix?  I have not been
> successful getting my code running under Phoenix, although I haven't
> tried in quite a while.  Is this my only hope?

Nothing has been done in Phoenix for this yet, as it needs a change in
the wxWidgets code and the current Phoenix builds are using nearly the
same version of wxWidgets as the installer package above.  However,
there are other benefits in Phoenix that would make it worth trying
again, even beyond the better wrappers implementation and library
enhancements.  For example, since it is built as binary wheels and uses
pip to install then all the issues related to the OSX Installer package
are non-exisitant. It's also self-contained and relocatable so you can
install into virtualenvs or venvs with no files getting installed in
/usr/local/wxPython and being not easily moved elsewhere like in
Classic. Then there is Python3 support with all its benefits (and some
pitfalls too of course).

http://wxPython.org

Re: Compatibility with macOS 10.12

Robin Dunn

More details here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wxpython-users/pvFivYrZ_vs/ONu71AOoBgAJ

http://wxPython.org

Re: Compatibility with macOS 10.12

David Woods

> David Woods wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It appears that the current production (non-Phoenix) release of
>> wxPython, version 3.0.2.0, is not compatible with Apple's newest OS
>> release.  I see there was a patch to wxWidgets about 3 weeks ago that
>> purports to solve the problem.
>>
>> Is there any change of updated binaries on the web page for this?  I'm
>> afraid building wxWidgets and wxPython on macOS is beyond my skill level.
> Have you tried this installer I made a couple weeks ago to test the new
> installer format?
>
> https://wxpython.org/snapshots/wxPython3.0-osx-3.0.3.0.b20160914-cocoa-py2.7.dmg
>
> It will still have the issue of using the QTkit in the build, so I
> suppose it will probably depend on if macOS still allows it to be used
> at runtime, and is just not allowing it to be used at compile time.

I don't suppose there's a carbon version available?  Using the cocoa
build instead of the carbon build breaks several things in my software
primarily related to events getting triggered properly. Socket events
don't get processed for cross-computer messaging.  The KeyPress event
won't process in one of my forms.  All code that works correctly with
the carbon version and on Windows.

David Woods wrote:

>> David Woods wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It appears that the current production (non-Phoenix) release of
>>> wxPython, version 3.0.2.0, is not compatible with Apple's newest OS
>>> release.  I see there was a patch to wxWidgets about 3 weeks ago that
>>> purports to solve the problem.
>>>
>>> Is there any change of updated binaries on the web page for this?  I'm
>>> afraid building wxWidgets and wxPython on macOS is beyond my skill
>>> level.
>> Have you tried this installer I made a couple weeks ago to test the new
>> installer format?
>>
>> https://wxpython.org/snapshots/wxPython3.0-osx-3.0.3.0.b20160914-cocoa-py2.7.dmg
>>

>> It will still have the issue of using the QTkit in the build, so I
>> suppose it will probably depend on if macOS still allows it to be used
>> at runtime, and is just not allowing it to be used at compile time.
>
> I don't suppose there's a carbon version available?  Using the cocoa
> build instead of the carbon build breaks several things in my software
> primarily related to events getting triggered properly. Socket events
> don't get processed for cross-computer messaging.  The KeyPress event
> won't process in one of my forms.  All code that works correctly with
> the carbon version and on Windows.

I'll try to look into that this evening.  The machine that I used in the
past for making the release builds for the Carbon version died a while
back and wasn't recoverable, and I'm not completely sure yet that my
other OSX build machine is set up correctly for Carbon builds so there
may be some tweaking there that will be needed.

http://wxPython.org

Re: Compatibility with macOS 10.12

David Woods

>>> Have you tried this installer I made a couple weeks ago to test the new
>>> installer format?
>>>
>>> https://wxpython.org/snapshots/wxPython3.0-osx-3.0.3.0.b20160914-cocoa-py2.7.dmg
>>>

>>> It will still have the issue of using the QTkit in the build, so I
>>> suppose it will probably depend on if macOS still allows it to be used
>>> at runtime, and is just not allowing it to be used at compile time.
>> I don't suppose there's a carbon version available?  Using the cocoa
>> build instead of the carbon build breaks several things in my software
>> primarily related to events getting triggered properly. Socket events
>> don't get processed for cross-computer messaging.  The KeyPress event
>> won't process in one of my forms.  All code that works correctly with
>> the carbon version and on Windows.
>>
> I'll try to look into that this evening.  The machine that I used in the
> past for making the release builds for the Carbon version died a while
> back and wasn't recoverable, and I'm not completely sure yet that my
> other OSX build machine is set up correctly for Carbon builds so there
> may be some tweaking there that will be needed.

Hi Robin,

I really appreciate you looking into this.  I know it's hard to find the
time, given everything people would like you to do.

I'm assuming you had no luck with the Carbon build since I never heard
about it from you.  That's a major bummer for me.

When I use the cocoa build, some events don't get triggered properly in
my software (which works well on Windows and with the Carbon version on
OS X.)  (I still use Python 2.7.12.)  Graphical representations of data
don't appear because EVT_IDLE never gets called.  I don't get socket
messages from other computers in my multi-user version because my custom
message-received event doesn't ever get called.  I have at least one
form that doesn't get EVT_KEYDOWN and EVT_KEY events.  The underlying
theme of the problems I see is that events simply are not working
correctly for me when I use Cocoa.

If I add "wx.YieldIfNeeded()" calls in MANY places in the code, this
addresses individual issues, and adding a wxTimer that calls
YieldIfNeeded() handles the socket messages, but that feels like a
kludge at best.  Any ideas why some of my event handlers break under
Cocoa, anything I might pursue in my code to fix the underlying issue
rather than applying band-aids everywhere?

I need to spend some time trying to get small-scale examples to fail.
(I have time issues too.)  My program is very large and very complex,
and I'm afraid I've got some odd interactions going on that only occur
with Cocoa.

Anyway, thanks for all you do for wxPython.  It's an amazing tool.

David Woods
http://www.transana.com