Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

Rich Shepard
   It's been several years since I last used wxPython and I've forgotten much
that I knew then. My new application uses Python3 and wxPython-4.x. I used
wxFormBuilder for the framework of the classes needed but the python code it
emits goes only so far. I want to re-learn how to correctly use
wxPython-4.x.

   There are several tutorials available, but the ones I've found are a few
to many years out of date, and all for Python2 and wxPython-3.0.2.0 or
earlier, including on wxPyWiki.

   I would appreciate suggestions to current tutorials (that augment the
APIs) for the new wxPython.

TIA,

Rich

Re: Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

Rich Shepard
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

> There are several tutorials available, but the ones I've found are a few
> to many years out of date, and all for Python2 and wxPython-3.0.2.0 or
> earlier, including on wxPyWiki.

   Forgot to mention that I'm making good use of the demo code, too, but
still have questions about syntax and overall structure within a class.

Rich

RE: Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

juanhernandez98
I second his request.  Are there any books, as well that might be good out there to?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

> There are several tutorials available, but the ones I've found are a
> few to many years out of date, and all for Python2 and
> wxPython-3.0.2.0 or earlier, including on wxPyWiki.

   Forgot to mention that I'm making good use of the demo code, too, but still have questions about syntax and overall structure within a class.

Rich

Re: Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
I think this is still valid:

But I’m sure it could use a refresh.

Contributions accepted!

-CHB

Sent from my iPhone

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:

> I think this is still valid:
> https://wiki.wxpython.org/wxPython%20Style%20Guide
> But I’m sure it could use a refresh.

Chris,

   Thanks. I'll re-read that style guide, but still look for a tutorial for
wxPython4 that's more comprehensive. The style guide has answered a couple
of questions I had.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

Mike Driscoll-2
Most of the tutorials on my blog work with wxPython 4. If you all have a list of questions maybe I could put together a new series of tutorials.

Mike

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018, Mike Driscoll wrote:

> Most of the tutorials on my blog work with wxPython 4. If you all have a
> list of questions maybe I could put together a new series of tutorials.

Mike,

   I apologize for forgetting about your excellent writings. While I have a
bunch of questions I'm sure the answers are readily available.

   I want to be more 'correct' (and pythonic) with this new project. Once I
have a basic working application I'll put it on sourceforge so if others
want to improve or enhance it they can. I'd use git hub but they want a
monthly fee and I'm neither on salary nor in the software business so I
prefer a no-cost home for it.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

Mike Driscoll-2
I use Github all the time. They don't charge for it except for businesses. Python itself is on there after all.

Mike

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018, 10:15 AM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018, Mike Driscoll wrote:

> Most of the tutorials on my blog work with wxPython 4. If you all have a
> list of questions maybe I could put together a new series of tutorials.

Mike,

   I apologize for forgetting about your excellent writings. While I have a
bunch of questions I'm sure the answers are readily available.

   I want to be more 'correct' (and pythonic) with this new project. Once I
have a basic working application I'll put it on sourceforge so if others
want to improve or enhance it they can. I'd use git hub but they want a
monthly fee and I'm neither on salary nor in the software business so I
prefer a no-cost home for it.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

Rich Shepard
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018, Mike Driscoll wrote:

> I use Github all the time. They don't charge for it except for businesses.
> Python itself is on there after all.

Mike,

   Oh. Well, I run a sole-practitioner professional services consultancy and
the tool I'm writing will help my clients and others. But, my business is
not writing software so I suppose I could qualify as a no-fee user.

Thanks,

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 9:08 AM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

  Oh. Well, I run a sole-practitioner professional services consultancy and
the tool I'm writing will help my clients and others. But, my business is
not writing software so I suppose I could qualify as a no-fee user.

OT, but gitHub doesn't care if you make money writing software or not -- if your repo is open source, then you can use it for free.

If you want to restrict access to your code, then you need to pay for the service.

-CHB

Thanks,

Rich

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018, Chris Barker wrote:

> OT, but gitHub doesn't care if you make money writing software or not --
> if your repo is open source, then you can use it for free.
>
> If you want to restrict access to your code, then you need to pay for the
> service.

   Aha! That really clarifies the situation. Yes, it will be open source.

Thanks, Chris,

Rich

Re: Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

Mike Driscoll

   I apologize for forgetting about your excellent writings. While I have a
bunch of questions I'm sure the answers are readily available.

   I want to be more 'correct' (and pythonic) with this new project. Once I
have a basic working application I'll put it on sourceforge so if others
want to improve or enhance it they can. I'd use git hub but they want a
monthly fee and I'm neither on salary nor in the software business so I
prefer a no-cost home for it.

I still think it might be worth asking the questions in case it might help others on the list.

Mike

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Mike Driscoll wrote:

> I still think it might be worth asking the questions in case it might help
> others on the list.

Mike, et al.:

   Here's one question on handling wx.Choices() objects.

   wxFormBuilder produced this code:

     self.ffg = wx.Choice(self, wx.ID_ANY, choices = ffgChoices, 0)
     self.ffg.SetSelection(0)

while the 4.0.1 demo (Choices.py) binds the event to the choice:

     self.ch = wx.Choice(self, -1, (100, 50), choices = sampleList)
     self.Bind(wx.EVT_CHOICE, self.EvtChoice, self.ch)

   Although SetSelection is a wx.Choice() method it seems inappropriate
becasue there's nothing following about getting that selection and passing
it to a method for processing.

   My inclination is to remove the wxFB line and replace it with the demo
line. Is this correct?

Rich

Re: Coming back up to speed with wxPython4

Mario Lacunza-2
wxFormBuilder still not create code for Phoenix and have many errors yet, all the time a need to compare that code with the demo and replace it when I needed. Menus is a big troubble...

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: [hidden email]
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Skype: mlacunzav

Lima - Peru

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018, Mario Lacunza wrote:

> wxFormBuilder still not create code for Phoenix and have many errors yet,
> all the time a need to compare that code with the demo and replace it when
> I needed. Menus is a big troubble...

Mario,

   Thank you for confirming what I thought was happening. When I looked at
the wxFormBuilder output I could not relate it to what I expected and
decided to switch back to hand-coding in emacs.

   Now I'll go through each of the 6 modules and make them compatible with
wxPython-4.x.

Best regards,

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Here's one question on handling wx.Choices() objects.
>
>   wxFormBuilder produced this code:
>
>     self.ffg = wx.Choice(self, wx.ID_ANY, choices = ffgChoices, 0)
>     self.ffg.SetSelection(0)
>   Although SetSelection is a wx.Choice() method it seems inappropriate
> becasue there's nothing following about getting that selection and
> passing
> it to a method for processing.

That's just setting the default selection.  Why is that inappropriate?
You're always going to need to add a binding to handle the selection
events.  wxFormBuilder can add the event handlers.

Maybe I just don't understand your objection.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018, Tim Roberts wrote:

> That's just setting the default selection.  Why is that inappropriate?
> You're always going to need to add a binding to handle the selection
> events.  wxFormBuilder can add the event handlers.

> Maybe I just don't understand your objection.

Tim,

   It's not an objection but a lack of understanding among 'classic,'
'phoenix,' and FB. I need to learn wxPython-4.x and SQLAlchemy to build this
tool.

   BTW, I've found so many discrepancies between wxFormBuilder and the 4.0.1
demo code that I've removed the former and am going line-by-line to make my
classes correspond with the demos.

   Below is my design for the application. I am completely open to advise and
suggestions by all of you who spend your days developing applications with
wxPython, and I am uncertain of which class methods I should be using to
make the application work the way I've designed it. BTW, if the design
should be modified I'll certainly do this.

   The application design:

The application has 6 modules: main, and one for each data catagory.

The main module has the main_frame with menus (File, Add, Edit, View,
Reports, Help), a status bar and a tabbed notebook, one tab for each data
type.

Each data type module has two classes: a grid for displaying data for that
category retrieved from the database back end and a dialog box to add new
data and modify existing data.

Initially, each grid has zero rows and columns with the attribute names for
that database table/SQLAlchemy model. As data are added they are displayed
by adding a row to the grid.

Each dialog has text entry, choice, and spinner widgets. I need to collect
user data from each widget when the user presses the 'Save' button and pass
those value to SQLAlchemy in a method (as a dictionary) for insertion in the
backend database table.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Below is my design for the application. I am completely open to advise and

   Oops! That should be 'advice' and not 'advise.'

Rich