Code Editor

Mario Lacunza-2
Hello,

I want to create a code editor with syntax highlighting, code completion etc. I was searching and I found wx.stc library and some examples in the demo.

But I want to know if someone know about other lib? or some tips about how to start with this task, thanks in advance.

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: [hidden email]
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Mascotas Perdidas:: http://mascotas-perdidas.com/
Skype: mlacunzav

Lima - Peru

Re: Code Editor

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
WxStc is the way to go -- unless you want to write the whole thing from scratch.

But I wouldn't even start from there, but rather one of the programmers editors already written in wxPython -- there are at least a few.

Peppy
Editra
Others....

CHB

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 22, 2016, at 3:53 PM, Mario Lacunza <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I want to create a code editor with syntax highlighting, code completion etc. I was searching and I found wx.stc library and some examples in the demo.

But I want to know if someone know about other lib? or some tips about how to start with this task, thanks in advance.

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: [hidden email]
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Mascotas Perdidas:: http://mascotas-perdidas.com/
Skype: mlacunzav

Lima - Peru

Re: Code Editor

Mario Lacunza-2
Hi,

thanks Chris, both are death or inactive projects, looks like editra is the best, but very complex, I'll check it

[...]

Peppy is not completely inactive--Rob, are you here?

Another one is SPE - not sure its status...

CHB

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 22, 2016, at 8:10 PM, Mario Lacunza <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Peppy-> NO LONGER MAINTAINED

SPE -> died a long time ago :D

[...]

Vlastimil Brom

> Peppy-> NO LONGER MAINTAINED
>
> SPE -> died a long time ago :D
>
> Saludos / Best regards
>
> Mario Lacunza
> Email:: [hidden email]
> Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
> Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
> Mascotas Perdidas:: http://mascotas-perdidas.com/
> Skype: mlacunzav
>
> Lima - Peru

> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Peppy is not completely inactive--Rob, are you here?
>>
>> Another one is SPE - not sure its status...
>>

>> CHB
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2016, at 8:10 PM, Mario Lacunza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks Chris, both are death or inactive projects, looks like editra is
>> the best, but very complex, I'll check it
>>
>> Saludos / Best regards
>>
>> Mario Lacunza
>> Email:: [hidden email]
>> Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
>> Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
>> Mascotas Perdidas:: http://mascotas-perdidas.com/
>> Skype: mlacunzav
>>
>> Lima - Peru

>> <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> WxStc is the way to go -- unless you want to write the whole thing from
>>> scratch.
>>>
>>> But I wouldn't even start from there, but rather one of the programmers
>>> editors already written in wxPython -- there are at least a few.
>>>
>>> Peppy
>>> Editra
>>> Others....
>>>
>>> CHB
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Jun 22, 2016, at 3:53 PM, Mario Lacunza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to create a code editor with syntax highlighting, code completion
>>> etc. I was searching and I found wx.stc library and some examples in the
>>> demo.
>>>
>>> But I want to know if someone know about other lib? or some tips about
>>> how to start with this task, thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Saludos / Best regards
>>>
>>> Mario Lacunza
>>> Email:: [hidden email]
>>> Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
>>> Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
>>> Mascotas Perdidas:: http://mascotas-perdidas.com/
>>> Skype: mlacunzav
>>>
>>> Lima - Peru

Hi,
just to add to this overview of "formerly promissing" editor project
using wxpython, there is Uli Pad, which also has some interesting
features:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/UliPad
https://code.google.com/archive/p/ulipad
https://github.com/limodou/ulipad

I think, in the long term it is rather hard to maintain such a full
featured editor for general audience (in concurence of many others);
however, it is much easier and fully viable in (wx)Python to code an
editor designed specifically for your usecases, where the "feature
list", maintaining and compatibility concerns can be adressed more
flexibly.
Or you can of course adapt some of the mentioned previous projects for that.

regards,
       vbr

Re: Code Editor

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal

> Hi,
> just to add to this overview of "formerly promissing" editor project
> using wxpython, there is Uli Pad, which also has some interesting
> features:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that one.

But in any case, even if not maintained, probably one of these
projects would be a good basis, rather than starting from scratch.

-CHB

> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/UliPad
> https://code.google.com/archive/p/ulipad
> https://github.com/limodou/ulipad
>
> I think, in the long term it is rather hard to maintain such a full
> featured editor for general audience (in concurence of many others);
> however, it is much easier and fully viable in (wx)Python to code an
> editor designed specifically for your usecases, where the "feature
> list", maintaining and compatibility concerns can be adressed more
> flexibly.
> Or you can of course adapt some of the mentioned previous projects for that.
>
> regards,
>       vbr

Re: Code Editor

Mario Lacunza-2
Just in case someone nostalgic I can found the new development of Boa Constructor(my first IDE for Python)but looks stopped again :(

https://bitbucket.org/cwt/boa-constructor/overview

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: [hidden email]
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Skype: mlacunzav

Lima - Peru

> Hi,
> just to add to this overview of "formerly promissing" editor project
> using wxpython, there is Uli Pad, which also has some interesting
> features:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that one.

But in any case, even if not maintained, probably one of these
projects would be a good basis, rather than starting from scratch.

-CHB

> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/UliPad
> https://code.google.com/archive/p/ulipad
> https://github.com/limodou/ulipad
>
> I think, in the long term it is rather hard to maintain such a full
> featured editor for general audience (in concurence of many others);
> however, it is much easier and fully viable in (wx)Python to code an
> editor designed specifically for your usecases, where the "feature
> list", maintaining and compatibility concerns can be adressed more
> flexibly.
> Or you can of course adapt some of the mentioned previous projects for that.
>
> regards,
>       vbr

C M

Re: Code Editor

C M

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Mario Lacunza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just in case someone nostalgic I can found the new development of Boa Constructor(my first IDE for Python)but looks stopped again :(

I'll just note that Boa Constructor was also my first IDE, but, oddly enough perhaps, it never stopped being my IDE. I still really like it, and without it there's a good chance that Python/wxPython wouldn't have been in my life. I still feel it didn't enjoy the adoption it deserved/s.

Re: Code Editor

Rob McMullen
On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peppy is not completely inactive--Rob, are you here?

I have unfortunately abandoned Peppy. I couldn't justify the work necessary to port it to wx 3, so I spent $75 for a license for Sublime.

The python support (most glaringly the indenting) in Sublime isn't great, but my time would probably be more useful and benefit a greater number of people if I could enhance that, rather than spending an order of magnitude more time working on my niche editor that had probably tens of users. :)

Rob