AuiNotebook not receiving enter key.

Stephen O'Sullivan
Hi All,

looking for a fresh set of eyes here, as this problem keeps leading me nowhere.

Details: Windows (7), python 3.6, wxpython 4.0.1.

I have a window that contains a panel, and in the panel is a AUI Notebook with 3 tabs. In each tab is a cefpython object, that I can use to access various websites. All works so far, but when I try to type in a text box on a webpage, the enter key is not accepted, so a new line is not created in the text entry box.

I have exactly the same thing in another panel (the one I use for not tabbed browsing) and all works fine (i.e. the enter key creates a new line in text box). So the only difference I can see is the AUI Notebook. Any ideas why it is not being accepted? (I guess it is being accepted, but it the AUI Notebook is doing something else with the keystroke, other than creating a new line. I just can't find out what it's doing in the documentation?

Any help or insights that can be provided are greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Stephen

Re: AuiNotebook not receiving enter key.

Robin Dunn
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 7:16:51 AM UTC-7, Stephen O'Sullivan wrote:
[...]

Are you using wx.aui or wx.lib.agw.aui? Trying with the other one may give some more clues.

--
Robin

Re: AuiNotebook not receiving enter key.

Stephen O'Sullivan
Hi Robin,

Many thanks for the reply. I am using wx.aui.

I was able to get around the problem by creating a textbox control on each tab and embedding the cefpython Browser inside that. Works great, but I would still like to understand why it doesn’t work without the textbox control, if you could shed any light on that?

Thanks and regards,

Stephen

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 12:10:58 PM UTC-7, Stephen O'Sullivan wrote:
Hi Robin,

Many thanks for the reply. I am using wx.aui.

I was able to get around the problem by creating a textbox control on each tab and embedding the cefpython Browser inside that. Works great, but I would still like to understand why it doesn’t work without the textbox control, if you could shed any light on that?

I suspect that it has to do with keyboard navigation. The RETURN key is considered a navigation key on Windows, and the wxAuiNotebook derives from the wxNavigationEnabled helper template class. Did you try classes other than the wx.TextCtrl? I expect that since wx.Panel is also a control container then it probably will have the same problem as putting the browser control directly in the notebook, but wx.Window might work.

--
Robin