ANN: Boomslang XML

Mike Driscoll-2
I recently decided to start putting together some fun example desktop applications using wxPython. My first one is called Boomslang XML and is a basic XML editor.

The current features in Boomslang include the following:

  • Opening / Editing multiple XML files
  • Auto save on edit of the XML
  • Recent file support
  • Some keyboard shortcuts (accelerators)
  • Add new XML nodes or attributes
  • Edit nodes and attributes
  • Delete nodes

Currently this is fairly beta, but I thought other people might find it interesting. I am aware of a couple of issues with it currently, such as the inability to delete attributes or not being able to add an XML node with spaces in it But I will get those fixed soon. In the meantime, feel free to check out the project over on Github.

Note: This project was tested with Python 2 and 3, wxPython 2.9, 3.0, and 4.0 using the lxml package on Windows 7, Xubuntu 16.04 and Mac OSX Sierra.

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

firefox
import os
import time
import utils
import wx

##import  wx.lib.flatnotebook as fnb
#import   wx.lib.flatbook                                  #
ImportError: No module named flatbook
from      wx.lib.flatnotebook import FlatNotebook as fnb   #
ImportError: No module named flatnotebook

:-(

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

Mike Driscoll
Hi,

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 10:02:03 AM UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:
import os
import time
import utils
import wx

##import  wx.lib.flatnotebook as fnb
#import   wx.lib.flatbook                                  #
ImportError: No module named flatbook
from      wx.lib.flatnotebook import FlatNotebook as fnb   #
ImportError: No module named flatnotebook

:-(

Looks like I messed up during testing and never did load wxPython 4 like I thought I had. I just updated the code in Git so it should work now in both wxPython 4 / Phoenix and wxPython 3.

The problem was that wx.lib.flatnotebook moved to wx.lib.agw.flatnotebook in wxPython 4.

Sorry about that. It's fixed now.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

Dietmar Schwertberger-2
On 6/15/17 5:15 PM, Mike Driscoll wrote:
> Looks like I messed up during testing and never did load wxPython 4
> like I thought I had. I just updated the code in Git so it should work
> now in both wxPython 4 / Phoenix and wxPython 3.
May I suggest that you actually test your code with Python 3 and Phoenix?
E.g. ST_SIZEGRIP is not available any more.

There are more things that don't work.
E.g.:
   File "boom_attribute_ed.py", line 51, in update_ui
     sizer.AddSpacer(135, 0)
TypeError: BoxSizer.AddSpacer(): too many arguments

Regards,
Dietmar

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

Mike Driscoll
Hi,

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 10:48:18 AM UTC-5, Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:
On 6/15/17 5:15 PM, Mike Driscoll wrote:
> Looks like I messed up during testing and never did load wxPython 4
> like I thought I had. I just updated the code in Git so it should work
> now in both wxPython 4 / Phoenix and wxPython 3.
May I suggest that you actually test your code with Python 3 and Phoenix?
E.g. ST_SIZEGRIP is not available any more.

There are more things that don't work.
E.g.:
   File "boom_attribute_ed.py", line 51, in update_ui
     sizer.AddSpacer(135, 0)
TypeError: BoxSizer.AddSpacer(): too many arguments

Regards,
Dietmar

Yeah, I noticed that within seconds of hitting send. I just updated the code again and this time it looks like I got it fixed.

Mike

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

Dietmar Schwertberger-2
On 6/15/17 5:55 PM, Mike Driscoll wrote:
> Yeah, I noticed that within seconds of hitting send. I just updated
> the code again and this time it looks like I got it fixed.
The obsolete ST_SIZEGRIP is stil there.
Really: please test before uploading.

Regards,

Dietmar

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

James Scholes
Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:
> Really: please test before uploading.

Your tone is unnecessarily antagonistic.  This is a new, open source
project, posted here for constructive feedback or contributions.  Such
negativity is neither helpful nor required.  If fixing these issues is
important to you, I'm sure the author would accept a pull request.
--
James Scholes
http://twitter.com/JamesScholes

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

Mike Driscoll-2
Hi,

I am testing, but I am doing so across multiple platforms and multiple versions of wxPython in my spare time while busy with other things. I had fixed that issue, but it didn't get committed. I just committed the fix to the size grips. However, I haven't had a chance to fully vet those changes as I don't have access to my regular dev machines at the moment. While it should work now, I make no promises until I have had a chance to try it out myself on a couple of OSes.

Mike

-----------------
Mike Driscoll

Blog:   http://blog.pythonlibrary.org
Books: Python 101, Python 201: Intermediate Python

On 6/15/17 6:50 PM, James Scholes wrote:
> Your tone is unnecessarily antagonistic.  This is a new, open source
> project, posted here for constructive feedback or contributions.
Sure. A proper Python XML editor is something really needed. That's why
I wanted to look at it.
Feedback on a program that can not even be started is rather unlikely,
though.
If it was related to something platform specific or so, OK, but if it
obviously was not tested?

> Such negativity is neither helpful nor required.  If fixing these
> issues is important to you, I'm sure the author would accept a pull
> request.

"This project was tested with Python 2 and 3, wxPython 2.9, 3.0, and 4.0"

Regards,

Dietmar

works smoothly now

firefox
>     from      wx.lib.flatnotebook import FlatNotebook as fnb   #
>     ImportError: No module named flatnotebook

> The problem was that wx.lib.flatnotebook moved to
> wx.lib.agw.flatnotebook in wxPython 4.

all is fixed and well !    :-)

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

Dietmar Schwertberger-2
On 6/15/17 6:58 PM, Mike Driscoll wrote:
> I am testing, but I am doing so across multiple platforms and multiple
> versions of wxPython in my spare time while busy with other things. I
> had fixed that issue, but it didn't get committed. I just
May I suggest that you focus on a Python 3 / Phoenix version? This will
make things and especially testing much easier.
I don't see the point for an application like this to run on as many
Python and wx versions as possible.
Once you start seriously working on it, you will find the need for one
or another library that is not equally supported on Python 2 and 3 and
then you're stuck anyway.
For me, asyncio was the trigger to move to Python 3. There was a
backport, but the quality of many libraries like asyncio or win32 on
Python 2 is decreasing.

Also, I find Phoenix to have less bugs or problems than either 2.8 or 3.0.
(Of course it always happens that bugs are introduced, but Robin is
quite fast in fixing things.)

Regards,

Dietmar

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

Metallicow-2

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 7:57:04 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
I recently decided to start putting together some fun example desktop applications using wxPython. My first one is called <a href="https://github.com/driscollis/boomslang" style="color:rgb(188,54,10);font-family:&quot;Source Sans Pro&quot;,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:16px" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdriscollis%2Fboomslang\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNE1MYG2RuJXz91fO1Ykdv6iehGriQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdriscollis%2Fboomslang\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNE1MYG2RuJXz91fO1Ykdv6iehGriQ&#39;;return true;">Boomslang XML and is a basic XML editor.

Just curious, what possessed you to name it Boomslang XML? It's got a catchy ring to it.
Can we get an app option for alternate frame title ...
like BoomBoomBoomslang or KaBoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomslang or BS XML or Llamaslang?
Please, Pleeeeeeeeeeease.Boomslangese :)~

Aaaaaaack! What a cursed unresizeable XML Preview Dialog.
you'll have to fix that style... no here take it.
class XmlViewer(wx.Dialog):

    def __init__(self, xml_file):
        wx.Dialog.__init__(self, parent=None, title='XML Viewer', style=wx.DEFAULT_DIALOG_STYLE | wx.RESIZE_BORDER)

oh, and some CollapseAll/ExpandAll Tree context menu options would be awesomeslang.

KaBoooooooooooooooooomslang.png (105K) Download Attachment

Re: ANN: Boomslang XML

Mike Driscoll-2
Hi Metallicow,

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 12:55 AM, Metallicow <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 7:57:04 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
I recently decided to start putting together some fun example desktop applications using wxPython. My first one is called Boomslang XML and is a basic XML editor.

Just curious, what possessed you to name it Boomslang XML? It's got a catchy ring to it.
Can we get an app option for alternate frame title ...
like BoomBoomBoomslang or KaBoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomslang or BS XML or Llamaslang?
Please, Pleeeeeeeeeeease.Boomslangese :)~

I was just looking for some fun snake names and stumbled across that one. It was a neat snake, but not a Python.

Aaaaaaack! What a cursed unresizeable XML Preview Dialog.
you'll have to fix that style... no here take it.
class XmlViewer(wx.Dialog):

    def __init__(self, xml_file):
        wx.Dialog.__init__(self, parent=None, title='XML Viewer', style=wx.DEFAULT_DIALOG_STYLE | wx.RESIZE_BORDER)

oh, and some CollapseAll/ExpandAll Tree context menu options would be awesomeslang.

Whoops. I didn't mean to leave that un-resizeable. I went ahead and committed a fix for that. I like the Expand and Collapse idea. I'll look into that to see if how hard it is to implement.

Mike